Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

door ajar switch on when i close off when i open

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Abner92

Default door ajar switch on when i close off when i open

Hi everybody, I replaced the door ajar switch which was broken,
but now its working the opposite way of how it should be, does anybody have an idea why this is happening? it took me like an hour to take everything apart to get to the switch replace it and put everything back together.
now i turn the car on close the door the door ajar comes on, when i open the door it goes off.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:49 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

simple answer would be wires are reversed. if you know the colors, trace them into the kickpanel area and swap em there. if not, need to open the door back up. good luck
Old 12-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Abner92

reverse wires is not possible because i never touched the wires all i did was replace the bad switch. I just disconnected the connector to the ajar switch with the door open and it started beeping like it should since the door is open.when i put the connector back in the switch with the door still open the beeping goes away why it should stay on since door is open. I dont get it.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:28 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

yeah, that sounds frustrating. I just looked at the switch off rockauto. it looks like a momentary switch, like a click ink pen. click open, click closed. the switch is working like it should but is just open when needs to be closed. sounds to me that the switch needs to be clicked one more time to be in sequence with the opening and closing of the door, which means digging back in and clicking it. good luck
Old 12-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Abner92

bl817 I was thinking the same thing and yea the switch is a click that goes up and down im going to try again tomorrow Thank you for taking your time to respond.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 AM
canacrippler

The switch should either be normally open or normally closed. If your old switch is still functional, it might be worth checking resistance on the old switch and new switch in both the depressed and undepressed positions. One way should show open, the other a short. I'm thinking the old switch and new switch might be different, could've been given the wrong switch.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

That's what I was thinking. A "click pen" feels like a momentary switch because of the user action, but the mechanism acts more like a toggle switch because it holds its position until "toggled" again. The door jamb switch is supposed to be completely momentary.

Originally Posted by Abner92
I just disconnected the connector to the ajar switch with the door open and it started beeping like it should since the door is open.when i put the connector back in the switch with the door still open the beeping goes away
Ok, that tells me that your switch is supposed to be normally-open. That's important because IIRC, the switch on my GMC truck is the exact opposite (it needed a normally-closed switch to complete the circuit, sending power to the lights and chime).

It sounds like the switch you have in there now is either defective, or the wrong part altogether.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:39 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

momentary was probably the wrong word. the ink pen analogy is the best I could come up with and seems the most fitting. the switch is clicked to close circuit (pen tip out) then clicked again however long later to open the circuit (pen tip in). I think the switch that is in there now is perfectly fine but needs another click to get in synch with the opening and closing of the doors as it works just opposite now.