Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Strange shutter when slowing taking off

Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Jon Campbell

Default Strange shutter when slowing taking off

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 GT with about 98,000 miles on it. It has started to make this unnearving feeling when slowing starting off from a stand still. I was worried that my rear end is failing but I ran across this TSB.

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb08-23-04.pdf

Has anyone experienced this and is it easy to tell the difference between the right cross member and the wrong one?

Please help!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Haven't experienced it but when I saw it about a year ago I just checked my car for the sake of checking it.

It's pretty obvious which member you have based on the color of paint that is on the member because the panel where the paint is at faces the rear of the car

Just jack up the drivers side front side of the car and take a peek for yourself. Heck you may even be able to do it without lifting the car up.

Also, you'd feel that issue more in the center of the car vs the rear. If you feel it from the rear it's may be a failing rear upper or lower control arm.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Jon Campbell

Thanks. So if mine has paint on it, is the right cross member or the wrong one?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jon Campbell
Thanks. So if mine has paint on it, is the right cross member or the wrong one?
Per the TSB, the correct one for a GT will have a white or yellow paint dot. Though I would be looking for some other issue. I doubt it is the cross member due to the age of the car. I would suspect if it had the wrong cross member installed, the issue would have shown itself long ago. Does your car have a manual transmission? If it does could be the clutch slipping.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Jon Campbell

ok, I plan on changing the diff fluid this weekend. I have a feeling the last time that was done, no friction modifier was added. When I do that, I will fully inspect the rear. I just hope it is something I can fix in my driveway which is why I was hoping for the tranny mount.

Search this Thread