Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Been running a Saleen for a little over 4 months now without issue (thanks Brenspeed!!!). Making 440/427 on the street tune, 470/440 on the race tune. I never use the race tune, the street tune is all I need. I have all the suspension mods (control arms, relocation brackets, panhard rod, Tociko adjustables) and 305/35/18 Nitto DR's (not the best gripping DR out there) and when it's above 80 I can launch pretty well at about 2800RPMS (5 speed) on the street, anything above that and it's just spin (or when it's cold). The race tune is their "stock" tune untouched, when they put it in and it made 470 I told them to de-tune it, which is where the street tune comes from. This winter, with forged internals under the tree from Santa, I think it will be over 500 after tuning the way it sits, and then there's always 2 more pulley sizes, lol. One of the things I love about the Saleen is it's the sleeper charger. Unless you know what you're looking at, you would just think it's an intake (especially mine because it's painted red to look like everything else under the hood), and it's quiet. Well, mine is anyway, but with long tube headers and pypes violators, it might be loud as hell and I just don't hear it, lol. Regardless, if you're going to do a Saleen, go to Brenspeed, Dave (the installer) and Brent (the tuner) are good people all around. Dave has been a Mustang fanatic for years, and it shows in the pride of work he puts out!!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
dustin62

I'm about to install the Roush 445 horse S/C kit on my 08 GT. Will i need to go with a 3" exhaust all the way through? The car will definitely be getting a cold air intake before the supercharger. Just didnt know if i would have any problems with backpressure after installing the supercharger.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
magden auto

Just wondering what you are going to use for a boost gauge?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dustin62
I'm about to install the Roush 445 horse S/C kit on my 08 GT. Will i need to go with a 3" exhaust all the way through? The car will definitely be getting a cold air intake before the supercharger. Just didnt know if i would have any problems with backpressure after installing the supercharger.

I don't have any problems and I am running the full stock exhaust.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 PM
magden auto

Dustin62,

You could actually look at some data before and after you do the modification to your vehicle. Your question about exhaust back pressure would lead to monitoring Mass Air Flow. Every time you make a change, you would want to watch the amount of air getting into the engine. So, bench-marking what you have now, then after with the supercharger kit, and finally by testing with the stock exhaust and even by just removing some of the exhaust components first.

Changing the exhaust, even on a supercharged vehicle, can raise boost pressure, which means that more Mass Air Flow was achieved. You could see how much of a "restriction" the exhaust system is and then make your decision of more performance vs. more noise.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:12 PM
2mchtoy

Default exhaust upgrade increases boost????

I have never,ever seen my boost raise when changing to a more free flowing exaust, if anything it went down because of less of a restriction. just my experiences' on 10 or so mustangs I have owned that have been supercharged.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
magden auto

Yes, I understand your observations, but I've seen just the opposite. It's a weird situation but data logging the experiences will always deliver the facts.

The theory sounds correct, less back pressure, more stacking up of things would cause more positive pressure on the intake side, but many things change when you alter the dynamics of the engine.

For exasmple, you will rev faster, which means the engine is able to cycle easier with less restrictions. This allows the engine and supercharger or turbo charger to achieve higher speeds sooner, delivering more pressure at a lower rpm than before. So, you'll hit, let's say, 5 psi at 3000rpm after an exhaust change than before when you hit 5psi at 3300rpm. (just picking numbers for example). The end result at your shift point (which now raises slightly) is a little more boost than before.

This discussion could go on for ever, (actually did about when I worked at HKS and TRD and dealt with their product line and supercharger development)... The bottom line, be careful on both fronts. When you spend money, try to make sure you are getting more performance. Second, don't cause damage and enjoy it.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
altegxe01

Originally Posted by jtmillspa
Hey everyone. Right now I'm kinda in a bind. I am not sure which supercharger to go with. I own a 2006 Roush... so the obvious answer would be to get the Roush charger... But I don't know all the details on the others, nor do I know how reliable each is. Right now, I have been looking at the Magna-charger, Vortech supercharger, Magnuson, Paxton, and of course Roush. If someone could give me the ups and downs of these superchargers, I'd appreciate the knowledge.
Maybe this? IDK.
http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...ticle&aid=3141

I'm looking into a system right now and am in the same bind. I'm about to begin looking a GT and I as an 18 year old college freshmen cannot afford to blow up such a car, plus my altima will most likely be sold as part of a down payment and my mom's fastback I don't trust as a daily beatstick...
Basically something with a conservative amount of power. While hitting 500HP sounds devastating, I can't take the risk of detonation. I'm willing to settle in the high 300's to mid 400's. Can anybody recommend a decent supercharger system I can run with stock internals (manual tranny) and have a conservative amount of power (75HP to 100HP)? ATM, I'm looking into Paxton.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 PM
altegxe01

Originally Posted by altegxe01
Maybe this? IDK.
http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...ticle&aid=3141

I'm looking into a system right now and am in the same bind. I'm about to begin looking a GT and I as an 18 year old college freshmen cannot afford to blow up such a car, plus my altima will most likely be sold as part of a down payment and my mom's fastback I don't trust as a daily beatstick...
Basically something with a conservative amount of power. While hitting 500HP sounds devastating, I can't take the risk of detonation. I'm willing to settle in the high 300's to mid 400's. Can anybody recommend a decent supercharger system I can run with stock internals (manual tranny) and have a conservative amount of power (75HP to 100HP)? ATM, I'm looking into Paxton.
As with forced induction, my 01 Altima has a custom turbo kit, so I'm not completely clueless on the idea, but I've never installed a supercharger before. I'm just really hoping to not have to upgrade the motor dramatically for a supercharger system.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Capstun

I have an automatic 05 Mustang 4.6 with a ProCharger supercharger, 4:10's and a Bassani exhaust. 461 rwhp (Dyno). Any suggestions to get more HP ?

Quick Reply: 05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech