Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

Does increasing the line pressure in the a/t as many tunes do cause any long term damage or wear. At least I think it's the line pressure increase that causes the trans. to shift much hasher then stock. I don't know much about an a/t.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Question (I think this is the right-place for it...)

I've got a rental Mustang (I bought one, but I'm still waiting for it to come in [should be here any day! *heeheehee*])...Anyway, I've got a rental so I'm like, I'm gonna torture this thing to death...do'n stuff I would probably never do to my own.

Anyway, sometimes in traffic, when going about 45-55mph, and the idiot in front of me slows down (for no reason) I drop the auto into 3rd to let the engine slow me down, rather than pushing the breaks. I'm guessing the computer wouldn't let it downshift if it was dangerous for the transmission, right? So if it downshifts, can I assume it's still okay? I'm not really sure what the recommended RPM/MPH is for 3rd in the 'Stang.

I figure if it upchucks its trany on me, I was bad....very very bad....
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arrow
Anyway, sometimes in traffic, when going about 45-55mph, and the idiot in front of me slows down (for no reason) I drop the auto into 3rd to let the engine slow me down, rather than pushing the breaks. I'm guessing the computer wouldn't let it downshift if it was dangerous for the transmission, right? So if it downshifts, can I assume it's still okay? I'm not really sure what the recommended RPM/MPH is for 3rd in the 'Stang.

I figure if it upchucks its trany on me, I was bad....very very bad....
55 in 3rd won't hurt anything, but the trans won't stop you from doing something stupid...

reverse makes it tough (but not impossible), there is no computer control over the gears (I assume we are talking about a manual? - right?)

Caveat Shiftor...
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: cekim

...(I assume we are talking about a manual? - right?)...
Nah, automatic. With the auto I have shift access to 1, 2, and 3. I thought the computer (or whatever) that controls the shifting, makes a judgement on whether or not it's okay to move to a gear, so even if you move the shift lever, it doesn't mean it will immediately shift gears.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:26 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim
...(I assume we are talking about a manual? - right?)...
Nah, automatic. With the auto I have shift access to 1, 2, and 3. I thought the computer (or whatever) that controls the shifting, makes a judgement on whether or not it's okay to move to a gear, so even if you move the shift lever, it doesn't mean it will immediately shift gears.
Ahh, well, then I have to plead ignorance, but from past auto tranny's I would not trust it not to do what you say instead of what you mean...
Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

06 5spd.. Do you know what kind of trans fluid this car comes with (Synthetic, traditional?)

Has anyone has tried Royal Purple in their manual trans yet?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and have what might be a dumb question, but here goes. I was under my car the other day (06 GT, 5 speed) and I noticed that the bellhousing has a square hole in the bottom of it that it large enough to put my finger into. Is this supposed to be there? One side of the hole was a little jagged, but it could just be casting flash. I was concerned since I smoked my clutch a little getting it up on the ramps (boy did that stink) since I was working three pedals with two feet so Iwouldn't overshoot the ramps. I hope I didn't knock out a thin part of the bellhousing somehow. Please let me know. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/13A0034A1D694393877F10487C4A5633.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/A2BBE24A3C174C089378859119EA00FD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Skrewdriver

I read on a forum recently that B&M is getting ready to release a ratchet style shifter for the 2005+ automatic tranny. Can anyone confirm this or provide me with a link for further info? I did a google search but couldnt find anything. If this is true, I am gonna keep my auto. If not, I may trade it in for a stick.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:28 PM
genmex2

Hi , I´m a newbee and I live in Monterrey, Mexico, I have the idea of buying a 2007 v8 Standard Mustang, I would like to know your opinion or your experience on the manual transmision used in these late models, Has anybody had any problems with the "synchronizers"(excuse my english please) or with the shifting, in the past I had a manual sc thunderbird and every 4 months I had to take my car to the shop to get them repaired, I just don´t want to make a mistake, Could someone help me with my decision. I´d really like to buy the manual transmision. Thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 06:31 PM
jimSD63
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and have what might be a dumb question, but here goes. I was under my car the other day (06 GT, 5 speed) and I noticed that the bellhousing has a square hole in the bottom of it that it large enough to put my finger into. Is this supposed to be there? One side of the hole was a little jagged, but it could just be casting flash. I was concerned since I smoked my clutch a little getting it up on the ramps (boy did that stink) since I was working three pedals with two feet so Iwouldn't overshoot the ramps. I hope I didn't knock out a thin part of the bellhousing somehow. Please let me know. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/13A0034A1D694393877F10487C4A5633.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/A2BBE24A3C174C089378859119EA00FD.jpg[/IMG]
I have it too. I think it's there for venting or to let any clutch dust fall out or something like that.

Quick Reply: Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech