Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

Hello All,

I am currently considering an auto Mustang but I'm a total novice when it comes to the technical aspects of transmissions and upgrades. My question is whether I should go with an auto? The car will be a daily driver but of course I still want the car to perform. I don't mind investing in after market parts to achieve this but I don't know what is required, the ballpark costs or what would be achieved.

Thanks for your help in figuring this out.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
lowrider02

Looking for some help on my 2007 GT 5-speed with 3.13 stock gears. When shifting, the RPMs race up a bit in between gears when the clutch pedal is pressed and foot off the gas. Themore I accelerate, the more the RPMs float up in between gears. Is this common? The car only has 4800 miles on it and the dealer doesn't know how to address it since they said the computer is controlling this.Everything checks out on their analyzer. This doesn't seem to occur when downshifting.

Another thing I noticed is when in 5th gear at approximayely 70 mph and 1800-1900 RPM, there's a slight droning sound. The sound quickly goes away when I hit 2000 RPM and doesn't occur in 5th gear prior to 1800 RPM. Are these common characteristics of the car?

Need help from someone with experience on this issue or if this is normal. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

why do people buy performance shifters? like the BM or pistol grip types,do they serve any real purpose or just look cool?

when launching a high hp(450-490) rwd auto like the GT do you guys bust loose the tires and still loose traction when it's shifting gears under wot like a manual or are they a little more civilized?

love the 'idea' of having a high hp auto but don't have a clear picture in my mind of how one actually drives.

How fast are the auto GTs stock? in terms of feel?

are the tops speeds limited or does it slow down after about 120 or so like most autos regardless of the 145 tachometer?

with 4:10s/tune/trq converter,intake/full exhaust does it really help open up the auto??
and would it be enough to hold someone off til getting a bigger mod,like say a super charger kit?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2007 Mustang Gt which I upgraded with a Saleen 475 SC, and FR 4:10 gears, Axle back exhaust, SCT 2 running a Brenspeed/Saleen 91octane Tune/ fine tuned on Dyno. Running 285/40/18 NITTO 555's on the rear and 255/45/18 NITTO 555's on the front. My car runs strong and very impressive, but I would like to get more performance out of the automatic transmission. I should have purchased a manual, but I didn't. I have been looking at the TCI Streetfighter package, but I would like to find someone who has either upgraded to better automatic performance or changed out to the TCI Streetfighter package.
Or if you all have any ideas for automatic transmission performance, please reply to this post.

Thank you,
Keith
Old 06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
charged13

my dad has a 2005 gt with a 76 mm turbo. he had been having trouble with 2nd and 3rd gear and this past week racing he finally lost it. he is planning on putting on a 5spd. is this the best way to go and if so any ideas on where to get a quality tranny for a decent price?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Charged13,
Has he always had problems with his automatic? Even before he installed the turbo? Do you do allot of track racing (1/4 mile), or allot of street play? At the time I had my Saleen SC installed there was another Mustang GT, 2006 if my memory is right, in the next bay getting a transmission swap. There was nothing wrong with the 2006 automatic tranny, the guy just wanted to convert over to a manual transmission. It was allot of work, according to the shop. And the price was , High $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But this guy has done allot of other mod's to his Mustang GT, and he can definitely afford it. As for me, I will stick to my automatic. I have heard pro's and con's concerning this question about transmissions = manual or auto.
Although, to do my purchase all over again, I would definitely only purchase a manual next time. Sorry I can not help you more. But I will stay close to this thread, forI am very interested in the answers you get.

Thanks,
Casper
Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

For those who are breaking or twisting their input shafts on their manual trannies, the 10 spline input shaft can be replaced with a 26 spline unit. This is the main weak link in the 3650.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Vapor2008

Hi guys i just bought an 08 mustang gt a few months ago. This is my first mustang and i want to do some work to it. Want to make it faster with a better job off the line. Can anyone suggest some options i have to do this. its an automatic. thank you...
Old 07-05-2008, 06:47 PM
MasterMike

ORIGINAL: Vapor2008

Hi guys i just bought an 08 mustang gt a few months ago. This is my first mustang and i want to do some work to it. Want to make it faster with a better job off the line. Can anyone suggest some options i have to do this. its an automatic. thank you...
CAI and tune..You can't go wrong with that...You should buy a package from BamaChips, like the C&L CAI and SCT X3 tuner....I bought it and it rocks!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

wow nobody answered this question,
5 speed owners, the small hole on the bottom of the bellhousing is the inspection hole. you can make a very "mild" inspection to the clutch assembly and yes to vent and allow gasses and particles to escape.

Quick Reply: Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech