4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

overcooled???

Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
mustangIIfan

Default overcooled???

hello this is my first thread, im having a problem with my engine not warming up to proper operating temperature, first i replaced the heater core cause it was dripping all over my floor and smell of coolant coming through vents. during the job i busted the temp sender connected to the heater hoses, so i replaced that and i also replaced the thermostat. once everything was done i filled up radiator and ran engine. i experienced temps rising up way more then normal then coming back down during which the fan never kicked on. i have discovered the next day i did not put enough coolant back in so i topped it off while the engine was running and its full now. it does not seem to wanna warm up it runs at about 160* (first hash mark above 130 on gauge). doing research i discovered in order for the fan to turn on the temp has to reach 210* which its obviously not doing i ran the engine for an hr and it will not warm up i even have luke warm heat what can i do to warm up the engine more? why is it not warming up after replacement of all these parts? i need to see if my fan has a problem to address (please forgive the length of my first thread)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What temp thermostat did you put in when you replaced it? 180 is about as low as I'd go for most applications unless you are tracking it all day long then 160. If you stuck a 160 in there, there's your problem. Put a 180 in it and call it done.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
mustangIIfan

Originally Posted by Derf00
What temp thermostat did you put in when you replaced it? 180 is about as low as I'd go for most applications unless you are tracking it all day long then 160. If you stuck a 160 in there, there's your problem. Put a 180 in it and call it done.
actually i went oem specs at "Carquest" and according to them the oem listed it at 195* so i put that in it
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM
mustangIIfan

also the old one i pulled out was a 192* so technically the car should run hotter right?

Search this Thread