4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

PCV/Vent setup

Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 AM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

Default PCV/Vent setup

Ok, now that I am closing the parts required section to my build up, I am wondering, what all do you all do for an evac. kit on your gasses in the engine? I have seen some evac kits from vendors such as forced4.com that include a K&N breather filter, and so forth.

I was also asking, because I was wondering what I could do for the PCV valve setup on the turbo. I was thinking I could get a bolt, and thread it into the fitting, to prevent any vacuum problems on the intake side of the turbo.

Any ideas, comments, or references? Thanks guys, Floyd.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 AM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PCV/Vent setup

From what I read only motorcraft pvc valve also install brake check valve before the Ford pvc valve. I have tried something on my new intake on 89t on pipe between vam and turbo I have 3/4" pipe off it toward factory vent on rear of valvecover on 88t-bird type. put rubber tube between. and slide 3/4" hose over hose on vent. plugged original location at intake of tube. Going this weekend and remove valve cover and thread cover and screw in fitting to get rid of rubber fitting in cover. I have read of some using catch cans of the rear cover breather and some run hose to air filter with factory pvc system. Hope this answers question. Have had this on about 2 weeks so we shall see how it does.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 AM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

I plan on converting my pcv setup from fords closed to my custom open system. I am going to use a breather tank and rout the valvecover and the block breathers to it and that takes care of any other pcv stuff.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:18 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Keep it a closed system. My PCV system is stock minus the addition of a catch can, and a check valve between the catch can and the turbo inlet.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
79_mustang_1991
I ♥ Acer

I dont think you need a breather, when I bought mine from these people they had it all
tweeker-ish. Instead of a breather they had a asprin bottle shoved up in it, and the car ran fine. I just kept it in. Its got something to do with your vaccum lines I believe.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 AM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

I live in California. Gotta have the smog stuff. I simply installed a Motorcraft PCV valve followed by a one-way check valve I found in the 'yard off a Nissan. No problems whatsoever.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You can vent to atmosphere; make sure air can get out, but not in. If air can't get out then it will choose the oil dipstick as a way out.[8D]
Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

Hey, I have been asking around on the Nato Message Boards, and I think there was an additional tap for the PCV setup, on the turbo blocks, but I am unsure, as I have yet to check. Can someone give me some alternative vent setups, to vent the crank case of blow-by pressure build-up?

I think I can just put a breather onto the valve cover, and then do some sort of a tap, with a pcv valve into the other side of the block, right? I really don't want to have to tap the block much, but tomorrow after school, I will check my spare 90 ranger block, and see if it has the PCV tap setup, but I don't think it, or the 89 ranger block have them.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

These might help

Old 03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
SmallBlockFloyd
3rd Gear Member

K, thank you fox, that helps. ALL 2.3 blocks that ran efi have the oil seperator bung, or 'tap' that I know of. Both of my blocks have them.

Anyways, I think I can re-use quite a lot of the parts from my ranger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCV/Vent setup