4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

Default Wont turn over

So I got my fuel lines on, and since I have everything I need for the motor to run, oil, coolant etc.. The only thing that I still need to do is either get the right clutch cable, or get a proper clevis for my adjustable cable... I didnt know there was differences between the 4cyl and 5.0 clutch links. So I try and turn the car over, to prime the oil system, nothing happened. I think this may be because of my extra connectors laying all over.. I have the knock sensor unplugged and the egr control valves, on pass side unhooked. Theres one long connector I dont know what it is, its 2 wire connector that is about 1.5 feet long maybe? and it comes out of the main harness near the injector harness, its all covered in oil and shrapnel.

Underneath the only connector i have plugged in to the tranny is the speed sensor.
Theres a 2 wire connector that comes from the top of the main gearcase, also the 2 brass threads on the side of the tranny ( is this the reverse lights?)

Under the dash theres a few loose connectors that i pulled down from my big mess of wires under there, there was one connecter that had a jumper on it, what is this? And theres a connector that comes out of the side of the driveshaft tunnel.
There was also a translucent connector, and two other little ones.

Can the car run without the neutral saftey switch? I think it might also be the starter interlock, like in automatic, where it wont turn over unless its in park or neutral...

I need input please..
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wont turn over

There is a clutch switch that must be plugged in. The automatic has a jumper in it. Remove and plug into clutch switch. Just tried my 90 with 5 speed will start in gear. Clutch must be shoved in. You went from auto to standard. if remember correct. The plug connection with multiwires I think 4 of them. 2 are neutral start must be tied together. two are for reverse lights. There is also I think the two from fuel injector area harness. my 89 had a small white plug on it. It is for the od connection of trans. Let hang. The jumper one is maybe the clutch switch see if will plug into the switch on clutch system. Here is site half decent wiring diagram. http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Just look for your year model. per diagram [white/pink and red/lt blue is neutral switch for auto] tie wire together should be at trans plug. [red/lt blue and red/lt blue are clutch switch hook to switch on clutch pedal assembly. Now [orange/yellow and red are for od on automatic. ignore and tie off so won't short out or get damaged. Hope this helps MG Man
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

I dont have the switch on my pedals, the pedals were sold to me with out the switch, so the connector with the the jumper, under the dash is for the clutch saftey switch? Can i leave it with the jumper in it? Tie together, as is jump the one wire to another? Ill read this again tomorrow maybe itll make more sense when i get under the car again tomorrow... This clutch cable i got appears to be a real pita, i really dont want to order another one, but thats another issue..
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Yes Leave it as is when it had automatic. Now need to find wires at trans. Remember automatic switch in trans to prevent start in anything except neutral and park. Will need hook those two wires together.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

Will try that tomorrow, it rained all day here..
Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

wired the two wires for the saftey together, it turned over maybe twice before the battery died, its on charge and ill try it tomorrow. Are the other 2 wires on the 4 wire connectorfor the reverse lights? I have a harness from the top of the gear case and the two threaded posts on the side of the tranny by the fill plug. Which is the reverse lights?