4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Default RE: weight reduction

ORIGINAL: 92lxsleeper
notches weigh more.
No they don't. That is why they are so popular in drag racing circles, less weight to start with.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

wow i never knew that much, how much less do they weight? not enough to really change anythign right??? a hatchback with rear seats removed will look alot better than a notch with no rear seats tho.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

You are the one saying to remove AC and adding a"race" muffler to reduce weight. Or maybe just cut out some of the metal designed to keep you safe in an accident. How much do you really save with a race muffler? Or removing AC? When you are intent in reducing the weight of a car every little bit helps. So starting with a lighter platform to begin with and lightening from there makes more sense.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Taking the A/C pump out saved me about 5-10lbs. I think
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't drive on the street without side impact beams but in race cars people take them out, of course they have rollcages
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
MustangGuy93
2nd Gear Member

removing the a/c will not only kill a few pounds but also give you a little bit more hp from the pullies
Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

Those bars in the door weigh alot more then you think. Look down in there. There is a bar and a big plate in there. If you are building a real race/street car you will be putting a cage in it anyway. Like I said earlier I had a iron headed 460 in mine with a 8 point cage and full interior and it weighed 3120 lbs with stereo, speaker, and full tank of gas. And that was with a stock fuel tank. And back then I drove that car all over the place! A stock 302 Mustang weigh's more then that!!!
But I guess if you are not planning on going faster then 11.50's then you might want to leave the bars in for safety. But as they say No Guts, no Glory!!! "Real race car only have ONE seat" though!!!
They say for every 100 lbs you lose in your car that is 1/10th of a second faster you go in the quarter.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:03 AM
SKAR

ORIGINAL: Angliagasser

Those bars in the door weigh alot more then you think. Look down in there. There is a bar and a big plate in there. If you are building a real race/street car you will be putting a cage in it anyway. Like I said earlier I had a iron headed 460 in mine with a 8 point cage and full interior and it weighed 3120 lbs with stereo, speaker, and full tank of gas. And that was with a stock fuel tank. And back then I drove that car all over the place! A stock 302 Mustang weigh's more then that!!!
But I guess if you are not planning on going faster then 11.50's then you might want to leave the bars in for safety. But as they say No Guts, no Glory!!! "Real race car only have ONE seat" though!!!
They say for every 100 lbs you lose in your car that is 1/10th of a second faster you go in the quarter.
Its for a street car...... with a 2.3....

If anyone wants pictures I have a door with the skin peeled back from the center (used a bit of it for a patch)

and if you want light doors, gut these completely, weld them shut, and use lexan for the window.......

o wait this is a street car.......
Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

I'm not positive but I don't think you can have Lexan windows on street cars, but other than that the term "street car" can mean a lot to a lot of different people. Some say if you can drive it on the street it is a street car, others say it has to have ac, radio and at least most of an interior
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
SKAR

if its on the road and you dont have anual inspections then you can do whatever you want as long as you arent stopped for it........

Quick Reply: weight reduction