4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

turbo power

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default turbo power

ok, so i did some research, and it looks like a TT setup will not be good for the 2.3l (reliability issues). and i was wondering what does it take to get a 10.5 1/4. my final goal is to have about 650rwhp. i have no idea how to get there, and no im not going to waste my time looking at turbo ford when i have the wealth of knowledge here, and plus i like y'all better.

so here are some questions i need answered
1)what size turbo am i going to need
2)ball bearing turbo?
3)what is hot side/ cold side
4) do they make an after market head?
5) what kind of cam will i need
7)will i get 25mpg on the highway out of this?

thanks,
Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: turbo power

ORIGINAL: USMCrebel

ok, so i did some research, and it looks like a TT setup will not be good for the 2.3l (reliability issues). No, tuning issues and i was wondering what does it take to get a 10.5 1/4 It will take either boost or tuning. my final goal is to have about 650rwhp Good luck without custom parts.... i have no idea how to get there, and no im not going to waste my time looking at turbo ford when i have the wealth of knowledge here, and plus i like y'all better.

A. How much boost do you wanna run? project bolt on is in the 10s and has a holset HX 35 @ 28 PSI
2)ball bearing turbo?
A. HX35 is I believe or buy a SC50
A. Unsure
A. Yes, esslinger does, but for less than that price you can ship a head to bo-port and get a stage 4 port job and it will outflow all but a ported ARCA and ported SVO head. folvo conversion also is good
A. I hear good thinks on stage 1, 2, and 3 bo-port cams, had to get and not the cheapest, but very good
A. Umm... With a J3 chip you can change what your closed and open loop, A/F ratio, and your boosted A/F ratio. Caroth (sp?) is very good with tuning so PM or e-mail him

thanks,
Thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: sleeper_inc

ok, so i did some research, and it looks like a TT setup will not be good for the 2.3l (reliability issues). No, tuning issues and i was wondering what does it take to get a 10.5 1/4 It will take either boost or tuning. my final goal is to have about 650rwhp Good luck without custom parts.... i have no idea how to get there, and no im not going to waste my time looking at turbo ford when i have the wealth of knowledge here, and plus i like y'all better.

A. How much boost do you wanna run? project bolt on is in the 10s and has a holset HX 35 @ 28 PSI
2)ball bearing turbo?
A. HX35 is I believe or buy a SC50
A. Unsure
A. Yes, esslinger does, but for less than that price you can ship a head to bo-port and get a stage 4 port job and it will outflow all but a ported ARCA and ported SVO head. folvo conversion also is good
A. I hear good thinks on stage 1, 2, and 3 bo-port cams, had to get and not the cheapest, but very good
A. Umm... With a J3 chip you can change what your closed and open loop, A/F ratio, and your boosted A/F ratio. Caroth (sp?) is very good with tuning so PM or e-mail him

thanks,
Thanks
what is the J3, well, being that this build will be over a year, so funding while short it will still be there. who is this bo port guy, is he on here?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

A J3 is atuner chip.

Bo-port is a member of turboford.net, he is VERY good at what he does, the best if I dare say it
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

so he can make the stock iron outflow the others? and whats the deal with the volvo swap?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Swapping over a volvo 16V head. Bo makes it out flow stock ARCa heads, not ported (or very close to the flow number) check his site out (boport.com I believe)
Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
MustangGuy93
2nd Gear Member

ok, so i did some research, and it looks like a TT setup will not be good for the 2.3l (reliability issues). and i was wondering what does it take to get a 10.5 1/4. my final goal is to have about 650rwhp. i have no idea how to get there, and no im not going to waste my time looking at turbo ford when i have the wealth of knowledge here, and plus i like y'all better.

2)ball bearing turbo?

thanks,
Hot side of the turbo is where the exhaustgas spins the turbine. The cold side of the turbo is where all the air comesout that goes directly into your engine. (if that's what your asking)
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

1) Huge turbo lower boost numbers, or smaller turbo bigger boost numbers. Either one could get you your goal. A big housing Holset will suffice.

2) Ball bearing turbo's are much more expensive for afew hundred rpm quicker spooling. Would probably be useful if using a huge turbo, but cost factor comes in here.

3) Read MustangGuy's post

4) There are a few, Esslinger being the main one. They are uber expensive, I would go with a Bo ported head or just find somebody in your area that can port the hell out of it for you.

5) So many choices. Slider/roller, strictly track/lots of street use. These things need to be taken into consideration.

7) That will depend on your tune, but it is doubtful. It reaches a point eventually where the motor is so aggressive that just because it is a 4 cyl doesn't mean it will get good mileage.

What happened to #6?

Folvo swap is going to take somebody who really knows what they are doing to make it work properly. Lots of custom work required, and most don't have that kind of capability. You don't need it to go 10.50's. Hell, Huber doesn't need it to go 8.90's...

A J3 is a plug in sort of deal for the stock computer that allows you to tune it some. If I were shooting for 650 whp I would definitely want a standalone of some sort.

While youmay not want to go over to turboford, there are multiple people over there with first hand experience in making these cars very fast. Here we don't have anybody with that kind of experience. Just something to think about...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

thanks mustang guy... thats what i thought it was. I dont like the number 6[:'(] so i ksipped it

i looked at heads and stuff, and OMG i love the porting idea now.
ball bearing turbo is out, ill brake boost it.
so what does a stand alone actually do?

it's mostly i dont like the interface on turbo ford, but i imagine ill go there eventually.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

A standalone allows you to specifically tune everything the car does. This leads to more power. turboford is kinda dated, but whenit starts coming to J3's or standalones I don't think anybody on here has ever done it before, while it is fairly common over there with lots of people to help out.

Quick Reply: turbo power