4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

questions regarding 92LX Turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Bansheeman6100

Default questions regarding 92LX Turbo swap

hi, this is my first post, do i figured i'd tell yall a little baout my cars. i have an 84 with a 306, 5-speed, full intake and exhaust, and more goodies then i want to list. i have bought this 92LX strictly for the interior, but have since decided to keep it, and sell the 84 using the profits to build a turbo 4.from what i have gathered, its pretty easy as turbo swaps go. the car has around 150k miles on it. so, should build this motor a little, new pistons, head, maybe bottom end. and turbo it? or just buy a cheap TC and swap in the whole engine? also, this car is an automatic. now, im 18 and work at Target, so budget does make a difference. pics of the car here

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...0/Car%20Stuff/

and since those pics were taken, i swapped the 16' ponies from the 84 on, new clear headlights, and painted the door trim, mirrors and rear window trim. and will soon be re-painting the front trim. also needs the front bumper, moulding, and a few spots painted. and tint. but, i only paid $600 for the car. thanks for any help

EDIT: also, has anybody put a dual exhaust from a GT on? and how does it sound? i thought about picking up a cheap MAC setup. and yes, i know it would not just bolt on. lol. i would it when i do the turbo swap. or, what are better ways to do a dual from the turbo? and seing as i will most likely just build the N/A engine a bit and turbo it, what all will i need, and does anybody have anything i need for sale? a colplete list would rock.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: questions regarding 92LX Turbo swap

Ok Well this post will get a lot of comments and suggestion. First off in tech above will find info. Site with some info http://www.stinger-performance.com/turboswap.html Most swap involve donar car to do the swap. Please don't junk a good one to get parts. The turbocoupes are getting rare and pricey and worth it. Definitely not a SVO. But rusty, damage and unrepairables are out there. Not sure on turboing a dualplug engine. Can and has been done. Forged pistons are necessary. Donarcar cheapest way to go. On duals yes been done y after turbo. But not much advantage. Best is 3" off turbo, 3" pipe and free flow muffler. Good site for info. Just use search don't have to be member. If I was you I would not join till have project started. My suggestion use search. If you don't and ask a question that has already been answered. Look out you will get flamed. Just way they are. But they are bunch of excellant people. Here is my photobucket with a few of my toys. My 89t is there and my MGB 2.3 turbo is also. If don't what MGB is look in general discusion done been asked that. Good luck welcome. Just ask any question glad to try to help.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Your all over the place here. Please list what you want/need.

Anyways, what engine do you want to use? what computer? what turbo?

Cheap and easy is a complete engine right out of the car with the computer, VAM and injectors.

If you want to go major power than get rods and pistons and a stage 4 port from bo-port and one his staged cams.

As for the exhaust, 3"-4" into a Y that goes to 2.5" so like this kinda

Front
____
| |
|__ |
|
/
/
/
/\
/ \
ETC
Old 04-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Bansheeman6100

yeah, i am all over the place. lol, my bad. too many things going thru my head at once. i dont really want to send the engine anywhere. i was gonna do any work on the engine myself, with help from a friend. and power wise, nothing REAL big, but enough to run 14's, maybe quicker. and donor car wise, it would be nice, and thats the route i might take, not sure yet. the way i figure it, i can do the top-end myself, and buy the turbo and components. or is it just too hard that way? but, if i did just buy a TC, will the engine just drop in? same mounts and all? im a 302, 351 guy, so i have much to learn . and i appreciate the help. serously. and, if i do stick with this drivetrain, will the stock trans. and rear-end work? and how much does it take to put the 8.8 from the TC under the Mustang?

and is there a list of ALL i will need if i do the N/A install? like, EVERYTHING.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Bansheeman6100

and if anybody has a TC for slae, lemme know. maybe you would be interested in a trade+ cash for my 84 .
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bansheeman6100

yeah, i am all over the place. lol, my bad. too many things going thru my head at once. i dont really want to send the engine anywhere. i was gonna do any work on the engine myself, with help from a friend. and
1. power wise, nothing REAL big, but enough to run 14's, maybe quicker.
2. donor car wise, it would be nice, and thats the route i might take, not sure yet. the way i figure it, i can do the top-end myself, and buy the turbo and components. or is it just too hard that way?
3. if i did just buy a TC, will the engine just drop in? same mounts and all?
im a 302, 351 guy, so i have much to learn . and i appreciate the help. serously. and, if i do stick with this drivetrain,
4. will the stock trans. and rear-end work?
5. how much does it take to put the 8.8 from the TC under the Mustang?
6. and is there a list of ALL i will need if i do the N/A install? like, EVERYTHING.
Lets number this to make it easier for everyone

1. 14's with a N/A wont happen without either crazy $10000 work or a big shot of nitrouse (I fuged that up spelling wise) 14's are stock with a 87-88 TC engine (all stock parts in a mustang)

2. Its do-able all you need is forged pistons, exhaust valves, and either a turbo head or have the "heart" shape cut out of the N/A head. also you'll need the manifold for the turbo, and the #35 injectors and computer (all the TC parts fit)

3. No, you'll need to move the 2.3 N/A mustang mounts to the engine. And the fuel rail/lines.

4. Yes, but the auto won't last long if you abuse it, and the T5 is good for a while

5. Take out mustang rear end, bolt in TC rear end... That simple

6. What do you mean N/A install? like the parts needed or ?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Bansheeman6100

yeah, i didnt mean 14's N/A. lol, im not that stupid. i want to just buy a TC, but im afraid it will be too expensive getting the deivetrain installed. cause i dont have a place or the tools. so, if i did forged internals, and a head, and all other parts required, will it be as fast/reliable as a TC engine? i know its a stupid question, and im pretty sure i know the answer. if not, i will fing a way to do the swap myself. i will just buy an engine hoist and do it myself. now, am i gonna swap EVERYTHING from the TC engine bay? and im assuming, i would install enfine, trans, DS, and rear end. and how direct fit is the 8.8 the 2.3 frame?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bansheeman6100

yeah, i didnt mean 14's N/A. lol, im not that stupid. i want to just buy a TC, but im afraid it will be too expensive getting the deivetrain installed. cause i dont have a place or the tools. so, if i did forged internals, and a head, and all other parts required, will it be as fast/reliable as a TC engine? i know its a stupid question, and im pretty sure i know the answer. if not, i will fing a way to do the swap myself. i will just buy an engine hoist and do it myself. now, am i gonna swap EVERYTHING from the TC engine bay? and im assuming, i would install enfine, trans, DS, and rear end. and how direct fit is the 8.8 the 2.3 frame?
I got my engine, with transmission and electronics for $400[8D]

All I had was hand tools, and I borrowed an engine hoist, which you can rent from any auto parts store.

The N/A rods and crank are the same as a 2.3 turbo, but your engine is a small journal so the crank from a turbo will not fit. Also if the head and pistons are the same, you'll be just as good as the TC/merkur/SVO engine.

All you need from the engine bay is:
VAM, VAM connector (with about 1-4 feet of wiring), computer, injectors, and a complete engine (turbo, water/oil lines, manifold, intake, etc)

The 8.8 is used on the 5.0 87-93 mustang. There is nothing different in the body from a 5.0 to a 2.3
Old 04-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Bansheeman6100

i know its used in them, but i wasnt sure if there were different mounting welds or anything like that. i grew up with Fox's, just never thought i would be doing a 2.3 turbo swap :rofl: i am, ER, was a V8 nut swinger. but with the way gas is, i figure i can have power, and save on gas. also, what all upgrades could i do to the TC engine to get some extra HP? better header, intake? and i know, this is a very stupid question, but what kind of milwage should i expect?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

More HP? Swap in a T3, 3rd gen bobs log or stinger header, stage 1-4 bo-port port work, stage 1-3 bo port cam, 3" exhaust, more boost, good intercooler, ported intake, rotated upper, etc etc.

Many mods can be done

Quick Reply: questions regarding 92LX Turbo swap