4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

four eye conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: four eye conversion.

ORIGINAL: F1aReD

why the fenders? there exactly the same arent they?
Different type of molding on it. I assume it has a different way of fitting. I know the lower covers aare different.

I'll try to find a conversion car for you mg man
Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I've done the conversion on a friends car. You don't HAVE to have the bumper, but the turn signals on the four eye are in the bumper. Also, the the absorbers that the bumper bolt seem to be a little shorter on four eye, but you can make it work.

You'll need the bumper cover itself, the headlights, the headlight bracket (usually riveted to the bumper cover).

You don't NEED the connectors, you could get by with some spade connectors, but i'd advise getting the connectors aswell. You'll have to splice into the old headlight harness to power the lights which isn't too hard. I ran my friends with the 87-93 harness, just had to cut into some up by where the headlights are.

Also if you can't find a bumper you could splice into the corner lights & use them for a turn signal instead.

the 87-93 fenders will work, but you'll have to remove the fender extensions off of them though otherwise it will look weird
Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Thanks all. I kind of wonder on the ac/heater area. Whether I will have to use the older system, will it fit the firewall andy differances. Also the steering Column also. I will be reusing the later model door panel. I like them better. It will be differant. But heck that is me. May have to use both wiring harness or just modify the later to work the older dash. But that is just a little work to do no big deal as far as me on wiring. If everything goes good can give more details later next week.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 AM
WyldeSoul
1st Gear Member

You'll need a new hood, too. Might be easier just to find a four eye stang.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WyldeSoul

You'll need a new hood, too. Might be easier just to find a four eye stang.
Was mentioned above.

Like MG man said though, EFI is a big thing for fuel econ
Old 06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Didn't see you were talking about changing interior too... the a/c & heat is the same with the exception to the switch of course. The steering column is quite different if you're using the four eye style turn signal/wiper switch, you'll have to wire that in.

Also the four eye used a different type of wiper motor so you may have some issues with the speed of it when it's on the delay setting.

You can use the entire 87-93 harness, but you'll have to do some splicing on a few things like switches.The gauges will work fine with 87-93 harness, but you'll have to repin.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

I agree about the SVO look. Not a chance on find them parts and I would not use them on a conversion. To many SVO lovers need them. Seen a SVO for sale in car lot yesterday in Liberty Ky. Boss with me could not stop to talk. Just looked at the 86 interior on a search may have fiqure how to use that column. Also no four eyes around here. All I have found are mint, rusty, or in j-yard with no title. Anyway efi only way to go. I have had carb cars. No thanks, too much maintence for me.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

I would find a four eye donor car with the interior still in it and go from there. And what 4 eye are you going for? thereare 3 different types. I personally like the 85-86 style the best.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

That is years I like best. Like said rusty one's I can find. And non title one's. I have a 86 dash console, column and wiring harness. I bought one for a 100 but was all rust. Sold the motor for 50. Stripped the rest and sold rest for scrap. The front shock towers you could put hands fron the insidethru almost to wrest. Front end went with another cartraded to get wheels for the 89 turbo. Darn.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Aw, I was going to say i'd trade you mine for yours I'm debating on putting 87-93 style interior in my turbo notch. I already converted over to the aero style front anyway. I hate the checker grill four eye + my friend needed the front bumper cover for his anyway.

I'll probably strip all the excess wire out anyway & make a dash with some fibreglass to save weight. No point in having a notch if it's not light

Quick Reply: four eye conversion.