4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

trans leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:35 PM
pipermike

Default trans leaking

hey everyone, this is my first time posting here, (i know youre going to think im crazy) but i just traded my 84 GT for an 88 notch 2.3 and its got its quirks and i was wondering if you guys would have any imput for me. Well first off, the transmission leaks, its the borg + werner 5 speed, and i cant tell where its coming from, it seems to be the front, but im not sure because theres fluid all over it. im guessing its the main drive seal? what do you guys think? and secondly when it idles, it has a nasty hiccup or something that can almost stall it at times, and sometimes it will loose power, now i cant tell if that is because the fluid keeps going down in the trans or if it is because of the miss or w/e that is with the engine. I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, cleaned the intake with carb cleaner and it has a newer air filter the fuel filter is clear and it wasnt sitting, its my daily driver. so im lost as to what that miss is, any imput is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: trans leaking

Transmission
Seal more likely has failed. Repalce

Engine
Pull codes, if nothing than dose it happen when the engine is cold, warm? under load, no load? etc
Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
pipermike

mostly when the engine is cold and idling, but it will also do it when you start to get going even if it is warm.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:39 AM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

you better hope its not the front seal.. that would be a long process to swap out.. you have to pull the engine... but yeah pull codes and go from there
Old 07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ExtrmZ

you better hope its not the front seal.. that would be a long process to swap out.. you have to pull the engine... but yeah pull codes and go from there
No, drop the transmission...

I'm going to say a TPS, EGR, or IAC
Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
pipermike

i think it might be the front seal, but i put stop leak in it and it actually worked, when it happens again or gets worse ill just drop the transmission, its not too bad, i have a pit to work under it. and tomorrow i will run the codes and see what comes up. And yeah sleeper, i forgot to mention that it will rev itself, so i guess thats the TPS?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

TPS, bad EGR valve, bad.dirty IAC, etc. Only way to know is to clean the IAC, cheack TPS, and get the codes
Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
pipermike

i took off the IAC and cleaned it and it seems to work better now, no big surges in the idle but it still has the slight miss in it, i ran the codes and there were none stored so... ill just live with it for now.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:29 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Did you set the TPS? might have a dead spot in it
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
pipermike

not to sound stupid, but how do i "set" the TPS?

Quick Reply: trans leaking