4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

How to swap in a manaul T5 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Bansheeman6100

so im trying to decide whether or not i need to re-surface the flywheel, and whether i can do it myself. it doesnt seem warped at all, and theres no rust pitting. i removed all the surface rust with fine grit sandpaper and cleaned it up a good bit. is there a way for me to tell?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Bansheeman6100

EDIT: well looks like my pedal assembly didnt come with the clutch safety switch. what does it do and is there any way to bypass it?

Last edited by Bansheeman6100; 04-11-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
mikerp76
1st Gear Member

the clutch safety switch is there to keep the vehicle from being started in gear. with out depressing the clutch. is it needed not really. yes it can be bypassed. you just need to splice the wires together to make a connection. but just be sure that the car is in nuetral before cranking it up an hole you foot on the brake or set the emergency brake. also by bypassing it you also reduce wear on the thrust bearing.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Bansheeman6100

Originally Posted by mikerp76
the clutch safety switch is there to keep the vehicle from being started in gear. with out depressing the clutch. is it needed not really. yes it can be bypassed. you just need to splice the wires together to make a connection. but just be sure that the car is in nuetral before cranking it up an hole you foot on the brake or set the emergency brake. also by bypassing it you also reduce wear on the thrust bearing.
ehh, i ended up just ordering one. i'd love to have just spliced and bypassed it, but between my GF driving the car and me teaching my little brother oto drive a stick i figured it's be a good thing to have. lol
Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 AM
jughead

Default Transmission compatibility

This has been very helpful. I have a 1935 MBZ kitcar with a 302 Ford engine with an auto trans. It is a decent platform for a hotrod-wannabe. But the first thing I want to do is convert the auto trans to a 4 or 5 speed. I think I will probably acquire a T5 since they seem to be somewhat more readily available locally.

I am not certain of the engine year in my replica but am pretty sure it is probably a '68 to '76 block. My question is, what T5 would be the most compatible fit for an older 302? I intend to use the stock T5 bellhousing and will of course have to change the flywheel / starter / yoke, etc. What I don't know is whether or not a V6 or even a 4 cyl. T5 will work okay. I would prefer to get a T5 from another V8, however, if I can't find one, I may have to purchase one from a V6 or 4 banger. Will they fit, and if so, can they handle the torque of a 302? Once I get the trans converted, I will probably drop in a mild cam and more carburation, but will only drive it on the street and won't be hotrodding it much.

I looked on the internet but cannot seem to find what year transmissions will fit the older 302; I think the bellhousing bolt pattern may be all the same, but am not certain. I had a similar conversion done to my '31 Ford with a 355Chevy engine from auto to a Pontiac T-5 and there was tons of info on the internet, but very little on transmission compatibility for Ford.

I'd appreciate any help you knowledgeable folks could offer. By the way, who offers the "best" swing pedal and cable clutch kit for the conversion and can the cable version be utilized with any T5 bellhousing and throw out fork?

Mahalo.

Jughead
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
rseibenick

Default T5 swap

Sleeper inc. Did you have to change the ECU to a 5 speed 2.3 unit , or did the auto unit work with the 5 speed. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rseibenick
Sleeper inc. Did you have to change the ECU to a 5 speed 2.3 unit , or did the auto unit work with the 5 speed. Thanks.
I haven't followed this thread in it's entirety, but I have that answer.

Other than finding the neutral safety switch and shorting it there was no wiring involved. I can't remember the colors, as this was ten years or so ago, but I completed this swap in an `88 LX with the 2300.

You find the wires, short them to each other, wrap them up and you are done with the wiring.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
rseibenick

Default Startere index plate

On my 87 auto trans ,it has a starter index plate, like the one you show behind the suto flex plate the . Do you still need the plate for the T5 manual swap or wil the starter work without it. Doing a T5 swap now. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM
h8louzn

rseibenick, I hope you got your answer by now. But yes you need the index plate as well . I noticed he didn't install his either. This will leave the flywheel open and a great place to collect rock and road debris.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Auto ECU will work with 5speed but not the other way around. 5speed computer will not work a automatic. But you will get codes because the computer thinks the trans should be there. Just ignore those codes. Maurice

Quick Reply: How to swap in a manaul T5 transmission