4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

replace steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Unbolt the rag joint or the joint at the base of the column (at the firewall)
Old 02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

i'm trying to remove the bolt that holds the flexible coupling on the shaft as this is what i've read and been told to do. but i can't seem to get a wrench on it or a socket.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM
slopony

Sometimes you can turn the column a little and gain access, Might take an extension on a ratchet to get to. When you get the pinch bolt out, pry that rascle off there. When you put it back together, make sure that the rack is centered, as well as the steering wheel. If you don't, you will have bad things happen. You'll be able to turn the steering wheel more one way than the other.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

well that was a major pain in the a$$. the pinch bolt was on there so tight that i finally was able to get a socket on it but broke the socket when trying to remove the bolt. unbolted it at the firewall and pulled the whole steering shaft out with the rack. the bushings on the drivers side were so soaked with fluid (i'm assuming) that the rack didn't want to come off the mounting spikes until i screwed with the bushing for about 2 hours. used a deep socket the size of the spike and a hammer to get the damned thing off. so now everything is all f'ed up.

1. how do i try to get everything back together the right way? just turn the steering wheel and the wheels to center, put the top of the shaft (down to the coupler) on and then put the rack back in?
2. how do i check to see if the new rack is centered before putting everything back together?
3. would the $20 bushings from O'Reilly suffice or should i upgrade to polyurethane? how much do the polyurethane ones run? the only ones i can find are offset and i'm not sure i need those do i?
4. i'm gonna take a picture of the rag joint tomorrow to see if i should replace it. it seems like a pain cuz you have to punch out the rivets or something.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

oh, and when i put everything back together does anyone know what i need to torque everything to? the bolt holding the steering shaft on at the firewall, the pinch bolt on the coupler, the two mounting bolts holding the rack on, and the bolts holding the u bar under the engine? (i had to pull that off to get the rack out)
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by edzdallas79
well that was a major pain in the a$$. the pinch bolt was on there so tight that i finally was able to get a socket on it but broke the socket when trying to remove the bolt. unbolted it at the firewall and pulled the whole steering shaft out with the rack. the bushings on the drivers side were so soaked with fluid (i'm assuming) that the rack didn't want to come off the mounting spikes until i screwed with the bushing for about 2 hours. used a deep socket the size of the spike and a hammer to get the damned thing off. so now everything is all f'ed up.

1. how do i try to get everything back together the right way? just turn the steering wheel and the wheels to center, put the top of the shaft (down to the coupler) on and then put the rack back in?
Try to center everything as much as you can, you'll need to go to the alignment shop to get it aligned and centered properly.

Measure from a lug on both tires (3rd lug in or something like that) front and backside so make it as close as possible so you can get to a shop and have them complete it fully. TELL THEM YOU PUT IN A NEW STEERING RACK!

2. how do i check to see if the new rack is centered before putting everything back together?
Measure, measure, measure

3. would the $20 bushings from O'Reilly suffice or should i upgrade to polyurethane? how much do the polyurethane ones run? the only ones i can find are offset and i'm not sure i need those do i?
Im not sure on this, your best bet is to call and talk to a shop or performance shop and ask what they say, but personally I would run stock rubber to keep vibrations in the steering down

4. i'm gonna take a picture of the rag joint tomorrow to see if i should replace it. it seems like a pain cuz you have to punch out the rivets or something.
tie rod end to spindle - 35-47 ft. lbs
steering gear mounting bolts/nuts - 30-40 ft. lbs
intermediate shaft-to-steering gear input shaft pinch bolt - 20-37 ft. lbs
intermediate flange-to-steering column shaft nut and bolt - 20-30 ft. lbs
intermediate shaft-to-steering column shaft nut and bolt - 38-54 ft. lbs
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

its a pain in the ***, i paid my local mechanic to do it
Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

i'm putting everything back together and am about to install the new rack. the rack came with a packet of 2 white rings and 2 black rings for the fluid lines. i know the white rings go on the threads of the fittings that screw into the rack itself. i think they are teflon seals. but i have NO clue what the black o-rings are for. anyone know?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM
jakester888

Default Steering Rack Removal

OK - so I know this thread is 2 years old. But here I sit with my 93 LX 5.0 Fox Body in my garage, trying to figure out how to get the damn steering rack out.

I can see the 2 nuts, 2 lines & 3 bolts. Infact, I can easily remove the 2 nuts on the tie rod ends, the 2 bolts along the frame and the 2 PS lines. That leaves just 1 bolt on the steering column. But HOW do you get this off?

Looks like the best option is pull the damn engine. I cannot reach it.

Help appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

first, run the seatbelt thru the lower portion of your steering wheel (this will give you some turning play and still be able to keep the position of the wheel centered), get the front of your car up on jackstands as high as you can safely do. soak the pinch bolt with penetrating oil/wd40. you should be able to turn the rag joint to get at the bolt from the top or bottom. its a pain in the a$$ i know. what ever you do, dont unbolt the rack from the frame and just start yanking on it, that will pull the steering shaft out and youll have to get it back in somehow (believe me i know). the new rack should be somewhat centered, just make sure your steering wheel is as straight and centered as you can get it. my car is a 2.3 so i had a lil more room to work with im sure. once i got the pinch bolt out of the rag joint, i had to use a prybar and hammer to undo it from the steering shaft. there is a notch on the rack where the pinch bolt goes thru hence why it has to come all the way out. the new stuff goes back together much easier i thought once i fought with the old one getting it off. good luck