4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

replace steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

Default replace steering rack?

anyone got a good how to on how to do this on a 92 4cyl convert? hopefully with pictures.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:45 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Take tie rod ends off spindles, drain PS fluid, disconnect lines, undo 2 bolts, undo the steering knuckle, and it drops right out....
Old 02-07-2009, 10:15 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

thanks sleeper. looks easy enough. how long should it take?

and how do you drain the PS fluid? i can't find anything about how to drain it other than letting it drain when you disconnect the lines.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hi,

To drain it, you could use a Siphoning device or just un-attach the Return line, run the vehicle while you aim the return line into a bucket.

Its pretty simple and easy.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

It should take from 3hr to 12 hr. All depending on your mechanical knowledge.

I recommend you don't run the car without PS fluid, so like said by dreamer, pull the return line and let it drain
Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
slopony

Hi guys, I'm new to this site and I hate to start with something like "OMG! 3-12 hrs for a Fox body steering rack!?!!!".
I can get-er-done at work in like 1.5 hrs. including the alignment, Thats with the BOSS hollerin' about why its takin' so long. Of course, thats on a rack, over my head, with air-tools and a BFH. Probably the easiest rack and pinion out there to change. Nothing in the way. 3 bolts, 2 nuts and 2 lines.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

gee slopony. i can type a 45 page lease in 5 minutes at my work. but then again, that's where my expertise lies. and if it really takes 1.5 hrs, why have all the shops i've called quote 4 book hours? =)

not to be a smartass, but i've never changed a rack and pinion. but knowing what to do now and knowing how long it usually takes me to do things, i'll probably spend about 3 hours on it not including the alignment.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
slopony

Sorry if I sounded like an ***. I know that laying on the ground working with hand tools takes longer than working in a shop with air tools and a lift, BUT 3- 12 hrs? I'll give this job 5 hrs, on the ground, TOPS. Its JUST THAT easy. Like I said, Probably the easiest rack to change. I was just trying to say that there is no reason to be afraid to attempt this job at home, UNLESS you have NO mechanical skills WHAT-SO-EVER. That being said, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, and if you crawl under the car and spend some time looking at it, and you can't figure it out, take it to a shop and pay 3-12 hrs worth of labor @ $60-$80 per hr for ME to do it. On the other hand, A 2006 Chevy Aveo, rack can take ME and ANOTHER guy 5 hrs, a lift, airtools, and a LOT of cussing to change. Those "Book Hrs." also say that it takes .5 hrs to take off and replace your wheels. They were "Quoted" to make mechanic shops $$$$$$$$. I'm a "Disgruntled" employee at one of these shops is why I tell people these things. I think that labor prices are NUTZ! Once again, sorry if I sounded like an ***.

Last edited by slopony; 02-12-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

yeah. i know what you were getting at. i'm not an expert or anything, but i can usually do the things i need to do. i'd never changed a rack or anything steering related before so i was kind of hesitant. but i got up under it a few days ago and it looked pretty simple.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

i'm stuck. i disconnected the tie rod ends, undid the two bolts holding the rack on, but can't figure out how to disconnect the rack from the steering column. any help?

Quick Reply: replace steering rack?