4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

91 convertible LX need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Narcoleptic

Default 91 convertible LX need ideas

First ill say I'm not really a car buff, but I bought a 91 mustang and I like it alot and would like to keep it forever but I have a few issues with it.

Its slow(4cyl)
It chugs gas when im on the highway(prolly because it has no power im assuming)

Its a auto and i don't really want to make it a manual because i am a lazy cruise control abusing driver.

Pretty much i have to fight to get it to do 65-70 and i would like to pump the power in it enough to be able to easily reach about 90 or so without flooring it all the way.

Ive been looking at putting a tb v6 in it but im worried about a few things in doing that.

Transmission? what needs to be done so the trans doesnt go up or are they even compitable.

Wiring? power top yada yada what do i need to mod to get it to work

rear axle? can i do this safely without having to swap it out for the 8 gauge or a compatible 6 gauge?

other options? can i achieve the desired results without having to swap the engine or do anything that might damage the engine or transmission.

I feel like im falling inlove with this car and id like to not have to get rid of it because its just so slow and i need a budgeted way of fixing the issue.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:00 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Got any pictures?

If you're considering swapping motors, then go for a 5.0L V8 combo. Parts are cheap, and you'll have plenty of power.

...and welcome to MF!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Narcoleptic
First ill say I'm not really a car buff, but I bought a 91 mustang and I like it alot and would like to keep it forever but I have a few issues with it.

Its slow(4cyl)
It chugs gas when im on the highway(prolly because it has no power im assuming)

Its a auto and i don't really want to make it a manual because i am a lazy cruise control abusing driver.

Pretty much i have to fight to get it to do 65-70 and i would like to pump the power in it enough to be able to easily reach about 90 or so without flooring it all the way.

Ive been looking at putting a tb v6 in it but im worried about a few things in doing that.

Transmission? what needs to be done so the trans doesnt go up or are they even compitable.

Wiring? power top yada yada what do i need to mod to get it to work

rear axle? can i do this safely without having to swap it out for the 8 gauge or a compatible 6 gauge?

other options? can i achieve the desired results without having to swap the engine or do anything that might damage the engine or transmission.

I feel like im falling inlove with this car and id like to not have to get rid of it because its just so slow and i need a budgeted way of fixing the issue.
2.3 4 cylinder
Do a tune up, bump the timing to 11 or 12* and add exhaust/intake. You'll see some improvement.

3.8 TB V6
You need to swap almost EVERYTHING from a 3.8 car over to the 2.3 car...

Swap in a 302 or a 2.3 turbo and you'll be much happier
Old 03-21-2009, 02:45 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Here you go. Do like me and go crazy.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-cy...k-warning.html
On second thought don't. I am going to finish it but not for the inexperienced or faint of heart.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:40 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sleeper_inc
2.3 4 cylinder
Do a tune up, bump the timing to 11 or 12* and add exhaust/intake. You'll see some improvement.

If I was to do that would you recommend running 89 or 93 gas and would you see anymore improvements going to 13 or 14* on the timing?

The reason I ask when I did this on my 5.0 it helped out a lot and I think we bumped it up to 13* and I could only run 93.... thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

It makes the engine less "laggy" from the start. I bumped mine to 15* and there wasn't a "huge" difference, but there was small one
Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Ok so basically your saying 11-12* would be better.... Do you think 3.73's are gonna help much over the 3.45's??? I'm putting 3.73's in my 8.8 this weekend and where can I get a speedo gear? Sorry for all the ?'s I'm just trying to get a few things done when I get home try to help the car out as much as possible just like the op wants to do.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
Ok so basically your saying 11-12* would be better.... Do you think 3.73's are gonna help much over the 3.45's??? I'm putting 3.73's in my 8.8 this weekend and where can I get a speedo gear? Sorry for all the ?'s I'm just trying to get a few things done when I get home try to help the car out as much as possible just like the op wants to do.
If you want more get up and go 3.73 is a better gear, but if it's a DD then 3.45s is what you'l wanna keep for mileage.

You can get a speedo gear from 50resto.com, or a ford dealer
Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sleeper_inc
If you want more get up and go 3.73 is a better gear, but if it's a DD then 3.45s is what you'l wanna keep for mileage.

You can get a speedo gear from 50resto.com, or a ford dealer
Thanks man you have been a huge help for me!!

I'm ordering the speedo gear now... The car will be DD but it's not gonna be driven far each day may just 5 miles tops so it's all just accel then I'm were I need to be. Now getting the car from were it is now up here to PA is a 330 mile different story lol.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

Not trying to jack the thread, but how would you go about bumping the timing on a DIS engine, like the 91 LX convertible, for instance? I thought it was preset and unalterable. I understand that you could adjust the cam timing by moving the cam, but wouldn't one tooth in either direction be too many degrees?

Quick Reply: 91 convertible LX need ideas