4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

Default no start

so was driving to work the other day and the 92 just died. won't start back up. the fuel pump is still kicking on when you turn the key to on so not a faulty fuel pump. the fuel filter is like a few weeks old, so i don't think that's the issue. checked the wires at the ignition coils and they don't seem as strong as they normally are because the spark is usually blue and this time it's yellow, but it seems to be strong enough. so then i try starter fluid and it still won't start. this lead me to believe it was the ignition system, but i noticed that it was blowing the starter fluid out of the throttle body. i was spraying the starter fluid into the throttle body for about 3 seconds and then turning the car over and that's when it was blowing it out.

is that a timing issue?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 AM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hi,

Is your CEL light on? Also, theres a quick way of checking that timing belt too by removing that rubber bung on the timing belt cover.

It could be a bad Crank Sensor or the ICM but again, check for codes first
Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 AM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

yeah i would recheck the timing, as in re-set it up, i had this problem with mine, well it was too cold and my oil was too thick, so it gelled up and the timing belt jumped a cog, so it wouldnt run.. make sure thats not your problem
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 AM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

forgot to mention that dreamer. i pulled the rubber plug off the timing belt cover and the belt was still on there, but that doesn't tell me if it jumped timing.

i thought it could be the icm, but it's only 3 or 4 months old. i did pull codes last night and all i'm getting is 111 which is system good. i dont have a CEL and i think if it were the crank sensor or the ICM, it would be throwing a code wouldn't it?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Get your engine TDC on the compression stroke, check the cam timing.

If that checks out bring the ICM back where you bought it and get them to test it for you.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:18 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by edzdallas79
forgot to mention that dreamer. i pulled the rubber plug off the timing belt cover and the belt was still on there, but that doesn't tell me if it jumped timing.

i thought it could be the icm, but it's only 3 or 4 months old. i did pull codes last night and all i'm getting is 111 which is system good. i dont have a CEL and i think if it were the crank sensor or the ICM, it would be throwing a code wouldn't it?
Hi,

Yup, your right about the CEL and the codes.

When was the last time your timing belt was changed? Id start there next. Just pull that cover off, get the engine to TDC and see if the timing marks line up
Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

im effin lost. so pulled the belts, the water pump pulley, the tensioner pulley and the timing belt cover off and it looks like the timing is way off. of course some of that may have been from me trying to get the water pump pulley off. it looks like next i have to take the crankshaft pulley that runs the drivebelts off, release the tensioner and then take a bunch of other crap off to get to the timing belt so i can change it - it's all cracked on the back.

my question is, after i do that, how do i align the camshaft and crankshaft properly before putting the new belt on? i've only done timing on 1 truck and it had a distributor and the haynes manual i had for it, unlike the one i have for the mustang, was actually helpful and correct.

anyone got a good how to?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

http://www.stinger-performance.com/tech.html Part of way down on page. I know shows for a turbo engine. Still the same as a na.

Last edited by mg man 75; 04-04-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added more
Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

so i have the crankshaft positioned so the mark lines up with TC on the timing cover. the camshaft mark is about 30 degress past where it needs to be, so there's definitely a timing issue. a bunch of the teeth on the belt are stripped, so it's definitely needing to be replaced.

here is where my confusion lies. once i get the belt off, how do i align the crankshaft and the cam shaft where it's supposed to be? let me try to explain this...... when the mark on the crankshaft is where it's supposed to be does that mean the piston in cylinder 1 is where it needs to be - i'm assuming that the mark means the piston is at TDC of the compression stroke? or is the crankshaft gonna be on mark when the other pistons are at TDC of the compression stroke (if that's the case) also?

short of pulling the valve cover off, how can i tell when the cam shaft is where it's supposed to be as well?

i guess what i'm wanting to know is if both pulleys are aligned on the 4 marks, is that exactly where it's supposed to be? or is it possible that even though they are aligned they are not where they need to be?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:29 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

i've got everything but the hub behind the crankshaft pulley off. gotta figure out how to do that. then i need to figure out if i need to remove the timing sensor like some of the instructions i've seen say to do and others don't. it looks to me like that's just an extra pita that doesn't really need to be done.

Quick Reply: no start