4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Looked at a 92 Vert..Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

Default Looked at a 92 Vert..Need opinions

Okay so I went and looked at a 1992 convertible yesterday..but it has a couple of problems right away: 1) They don't know how many miles it has, aparently the previous owner got an instrument cluster from another car (it has the white face gauges). The odometer reads 290,000 miles and the title states 156,000. Aparently they carfaxed it and the numbers matched. You can tell the whole column was once taken apart. Don't know what happened there...opinions?

2). The tranny is messed up. (figures). Aparently, (correct me if it doesnt make sense) the vaccum modulator started to suck tranny fluid through the vacuum lines into the engine..They replaced the vacuum modulator, and it fixed that problem BUT now it only shifts into 2nd gear (i didnt even feel it shift at all, but it could have). After the test drive I could smell burning rubber smell..tranny's fried? Opinions?

It's a beautiful car, the paint is new, the top is new and has NO cracks, rips, leaks and isnt faded. The tires are brand new cooper cobras mounted on the GT turbine rims from 87. The engine runs smooth and the engine bay is clean with NO rust. The brakes worked good, and the interior is MINT.

Problem is, on the drive it was making some funny noises coming from the trunk..and from the front passenger's side..also sounded like the power steering pump is gonna go soon..It didn't seem to run as smooth as my old stang, maybe it's cause it never shifted, IDK.

Would anyone here buy a stang they didnt know the mileage of? I need some opinions on these problems...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hi,

Id check that vacuum line again to make sure the modulator was installed correctly. Id take alook at the fluid as well.

As for the trunk, did you take a peek inside to see if it was the tire iron or the jack that was loose or something similar?

For the passenger side noises, did you check the tie rods and ball joints? Was there any visable signs of damage? How did the sway bar and end links look? Bushings?

Usually when a power steering pump goes bad, it will 'whine' pretty bad even when not using the power assist. Did you check the fluid?

As for the mileage, you could Carfax it. Id be taking off the Oil Fill cap and looking to see how well maintained the engine was by looking for signs on sludge.

Id also bring a OBD 1 scanner as well and check for codes even if the CEL isnt on.

How much are they looking to get for it? If everything seems 'mint' like you pointed it out to be, worst case scenario is that you need a trans rebuild of buy one from a salvage yard.

I wouldnt make my next move till i know how much there looking to get for it.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

Well there asking $750 but I could probably talk them down. For the front drivers side noise, the guy told me he thought it was because of the rims/tires (i guess they rubbed). I didnt think there even should be any rubbing issues until you get 17"??? Or like 275s? He told me he cut the wheel well..IDK about that..He said he doesnt know now because it seems to go away when you accelerate?

I didn't check any of the fluids..I already had been twice so I dont think I'm gonna go back for a third time (unless i wanna make an offer)

Is the vacuum modular sucking tranny fluid into the engine a common problem? I had never even heard of that problem on the 2.3 mustangs before, I thought the biggest thing with these trannys was the damn front seal going?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
lbballin9
3rd Gear Member

I say run away...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:19 PM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

New paint, top and tires? Give him $500 then go find a turbo donor car!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 AM
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I was thinking that, but I'm just gonna sit on it for now, look around for other ones and if they dont sell this one I might give them $500
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 AM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

i just had my a4ld trans rebuilt in september on my 92. it ran me about 1600 with a shift kit and some upgrades to the trans. it has a 5 year warranty on it now and that is generally the weakest point of the 2.3l fox stangs i think. that and the ICM but i got a lifetime warranty on that too. =)

i had some weird noises coming from the back drivers side of mine when i got it and couldn't figure out what the hell it was. went to get a new tailpipe put on cuz mine looked like swiss cheese and it turns out it was jut barely rubbing because the mounting bracket was welded in the wrong spot.

power steering pump at autozone runs $60 and it looks pretty simple to change.

i'm not exactly sure, but i think my dad told me at one point that tranny fluid actually can help to clean the inside of a motor, so i don't think i'd worry about that.

i don't know man, it's your decision, but if it were me, i'd probably go for it. i paid $2500 for my 92 (which really was too high, but ces la vie) and i've put quite a bit into it... i'd say close to $3k - $4k. but there ain't much left that i would need to replace anytime soon. i love driving the car - especially with the top down in the texas heat - and it's fun to work on. i've always had imports before this one and they were a bitch to work on and i hated doing it...... but i love to work on this one.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by edzdallas79
i just had my a4ld trans rebuilt in september on my 92. it ran me about 1600 with a shift kit and some upgrades to the trans. it has a 5 year warranty on it now and that is generally the weakest point of the 2.3l fox stangs i think. that and the ICM but i got a lifetime warranty on that too. =)

i had some weird noises coming from the back drivers side of mine when i got it and couldn't figure out what the hell it was. went to get a new tailpipe put on cuz mine looked like swiss cheese and it turns out it was jut barely rubbing because the mounting bracket was welded in the wrong spot.

power steering pump at autozone runs $60 and it looks pretty simple to change.

i'm not exactly sure, but i think my dad told me at one point that tranny fluid actually can help to clean the inside of a motor, so i don't think i'd worry about that.

i don't know man, it's your decision, but if it were me, i'd probably go for it. i paid $2500 for my 92 (which really was too high, but ces la vie) and i've put quite a bit into it... i'd say close to $3k - $4k. but there ain't much left that i would need to replace anytime soon. i love driving the car - especially with the top down in the texas heat - and it's fun to work on. i've always had imports before this one and they were a bitch to work on and i hated doing it...... but i love to work on this one.
Thanks for the info man. I was expecting it to be over $1,000. I know a local shop that can do payments for me..

I've been seriously considering buying this thing now, especially after your post lol. I mean..the thing is in awesome shape AND its cheap. I keep seeing 4cyl convertibles on craigslist for over $1,000 and not only do they need a trans, they need a top, tires, paint, etc. I'll keep you guys updated on what I do
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
edzdallas79
1st Gear Member

what happened? did you get it?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 PM
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

Sorry it took me a few days to reply. Nope I didnt get it yet..I may or may not go tomorow and buy the thing..I just dunno how I'm gonna get it home, they really screw you for towing! I'll defenately let everyone know either way

Quick Reply: Looked at a 92 Vert..Need opinions