4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

idle fluctuates between 800-700...2.3L,when warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 AM
roscoo

Default idle fluctuates between 800-700...2.3L,when warm

Is it normal for a 2.3L auto... idle to fluctuate between 800-700 (when engine normal temp,and idling at a stop)

Car runs great and no hesitation from stop...just kinda annoying to have idle fluctuate.

ps: car has always done this since bought about a month ago...and even after having oxygen sensor and thermostat changed (was pulling these codes and getting horride fuel milage...after these changes fuel milage now great but still idle fluctuation)
Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Lenny2.3

Thats sounds about right. That's where mine idles at a warm stop, even with the slight fluctuaion.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:52 AM
roscoo

Originally Posted by Lenny2.3
Thats sounds about right. That's where mine idles at a warm stop, even with the slight fluctuaion.
so yours also fluctuates while stopped? meaning tach moves up and down about 100rpm ???
Old 07-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Lenny2.3

100 is about right, maybe a little more on a cold engine (700-900).
Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Still doesn't sound quite right. Your IAC should be doing a better job of controlling your idle than that. For the most part you should be able to get your engine to idle around 500rpm and stay there. I know mine used to idle high too, 600-700rpm range when warm, but it would stay constant, no fluctuation. What year is your mustang? Have you noticed any other issues with it? Is your check engine light on?

May want to pop off your IAC and throttle body and clean them out. It can do wonders for little problems like this. Probably help you idle down too.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 AM
roscoo

Originally Posted by Babybudistmonk
Still doesn't sound quite right. Your IAC should be doing a better job of controlling your idle than that. For the most part you should be able to get your engine to idle around 500rpm and stay there. I know mine used to idle high too, 600-700rpm range when warm, but it would stay constant, no fluctuation. What year is your mustang? Have you noticed any other issues with it? Is your check engine light on?

May want to pop off your IAC and throttle body and clean them out. It can do wonders for little problems like this. Probably help you idle down too.
will try cleaning both...

no check engine light (there was one...local place checked codes and it showed... oxygen sensor...so replaced and check engine light no longer shows)

em getting horrible gas milage...like about half what i should be getting...but car runs great...ideas?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

what year mustang is it?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
roscoo

Originally Posted by Babybudistmonk
what year mustang is it?
93,2.3L,auto
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Have you cleaned your mass airflow sensor yet? CRC makes an awesome spray bomb to clean those out. I had a hard time trying to figure out what was wrong with my mustang when it wasn't running right. Also a 93 auto at the time. I had a lot more problems than you did tho lol. Finally after checking out every other avenue I looked at my MAF and it was nasty dirty. I got myself a can of the CRC Mass Airflow Cleaner and it did the trick. It was like a whole new car.

Take your MAF out and look at the little wire in there. If it looks dirty I would try cleaning that first. That explains bad gas mileage and idle fluctuations if its not reading incoming air correctly. Just make sure you DON'T touch the wire in there. They are pretty fragile and can be damaged easily. Just spray it down real good with cleaner and give it a try.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:19 PM
roscoo

ok thanks will try that next...

i did try using some "sea foam" just adding to a fill of gas...and that did seem to help...

Quick Reply: idle fluctuates between 800-700...2.3L,when warm