4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

2.3T Bov options? bpV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Svtwv

Default 2.3T Bov options? bpV?

I have read many threads an sites about this an tryin to see just what exactly can be done. Can you run a Bov on this engine with the vam setup? If so what types? Single? I have seen where people say only a dual piston setup will work. Or is a bpv the way to go? I would like to have something where you do get the "whoosh" sound.I watched some videos on youtube an some 2.3T have pretty decent sounding ones an it doesnt seem to be causing the backfires or delays do to added fuel an not enough air because of the vam calculated air that was lost through the bov.Thanks for any input on this subject.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

From what I have read, if you recirculate the air back to the VAM the BOV will work fine. Personally I just use the BPV, easier and doesn't sound as ricey.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

With a BOV you lose metered air to the atmosphere, making your computer go WTF!!!!!!?!?!?!?!!?!??!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

From what I understand, BPV's work so much better for the 2.3T than BOV's do. Like has been said above, if you recirculate the air back in with a BPV, it will save you a lot of headaches down the road. Go BPV.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Svtwv

i like the computer going wtf lol..ok bpv sounds correct taking from people who have done this knowing whats what. Saves much unneeded headache in future. With a bypass valve does it have any whoosh sound? Nothing ricey, jw if you can here it or is it rather quiet?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

I believe you can, but I don't have a BPV so I can't say for sure. But from what people have said, yes, it does.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

I use a bypass valve and it doesn't make much sound at all. I would imagine however you could take a BOV and route a bit of tubing from it back to the vam. Then you can get some sound, and be able to keep your metered air.

I have also heard that you can use a dual piston BOV. It will keep any un-metered from entering the system, but you still let metered air out. Some people say it works for them, others dont even bother to try. Just a thought
Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Boost-Gobbler

I Run and BOV, I found a dual piston forge on ebay that was cheap and couldnt pass it up. When I first bought and installed it the 2.3t was pretty stock, except for turbo, exhaust, FPR and a small ebay intercooler. i had nothing to vent the pressure before this. When i First started to use it i would experience a decent mount of break up on initial pedal release for deceleration and i was honestly like WTF the first couple or times. However that caused me to play around a bit with the car on the road in oder to understand why it did that and to see if i could avoid it, it paid off. I realized that weather or not it broke up or not depended allot on how i released the pedal after acceleration or after the "blow off" after i got to know how the car responded witch didn't take long i simply adjusted my driving habits to match what the car liked. After that I didn't have any issues, also the BOV never went off unless i wanted it to because i knew the car.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 AM
orb001

ok, i'm kinda new to the 2.3 turbo. y'all seem to recommend the bypass valve and not blow off valve. i understand why u cant use the blow off valve, but why do you NEED any kind of valve? there is some kind of valve built into the exhaust side of the turbo to control boost? sorry for sounding like a noob, but for this i really am a noob. for now.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

What these valves do has nothing to do with regulating boost. That is the job of the wastegate that is usually on the exhaust side of the turbo. What a BOV/BPV does is to let the built up pressure out of the system once the gas pedal is lifted. This is beneficial for a couple reasons. First it's much easier on your throttle body, turbo, etc. Having all that pressure in the way, not flowing can wear out components like that over time. The second reason is so that you can keep the turbo spinning. If you don't release the pressure, it will abruptly slow the turbo down. If you are able to get rid of the pressure, your turbo can continue to spin, and you will have a quicker spool time when your shifting gears.

Now a valve like this isn't necessary for fairly normal, everyday driving. It helps, but still not necessary. However, if you know what your looking for, its is a pretty cheap, simple way to get some quicker spool times after shifting, and save a little wear and tear on your intake components.

Boost-Gobbler, the purpose of a BOV is to help you with your driving style, not change your style to make the car run right. If I were you I would look into getting a bypass valve if the BOV is forcing you to drive differently.

Quick Reply: 2.3T Bov options? bpV?