4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

87 LX - Hunting for idle, cutting out, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 AM
noahkeller

Default 87 LX - Hunting for idle, cutting out, please help.

Hello,

My brother has a 1987 2.3L LX, which he recently got into an accident with (it was supposedly running fine before this, but I doubt it after working on it.) After the accident it would not run.

His friend is doing the coyote conversion on his lx, which is a 1993 I believe, and gave him the brake booster and master cylinder for his car, since that was causing it to not want to run correctly. I replace the master cylinder and booster, and then it would run, very roughly though.

The idle would bounce between 1-1.5k, any lower and it would die. I replaced the IAC, which had no affect, but I left the new one on it anyway. Still hunting. After this, we replaced spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, distributor cap, which were all in dire need of replacement.

As you would imagine, this had great affect on the engine. It was then drivable, but sometimes the idle would race up to around 3k, until you shut the car off, and restarted it, and it would occasionally hunt for idle.

We went for a long drive yesterday (6.5 hours), on the interstate and after about 4 hours the engine would begin to cut out when the car was moving at speed, and the accelerator was not being pressed. If you pressed it, it would stop.

This morning it has an erratic idle, and does not want to run correctly.

I was getting the following error codes:

23 - TPS out of range, or throttle set too high
I believe the other code was "69", and it was something about heat riser (the pipe for the EGR system?)

After replace plugs etc, I had a guy at a garage test it with the machine, and he said he was not getting any codes. I have not done the self test since, to see if I am still getting them. I will do that in a bit, and update with results.

Any suggestions on what this problem might be? Could the TPS be causing these problems? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted you to have all the details.

Your time is greatly appreciated,
Noah
Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
noahkeller

Oh, I forgot to mention, he had taken it to a shop, and they replaced the in-tank filter I believe he said. Something they had to remove the tank to do.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

Vacuum leak? Just throwing it out there. I know on my '93 my ignition control module made it do some weird stuff being that it was randomly loosing ground. I don't thing your brother's car has an ICM though. PCV valve?