4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

how much psi???on a stock T-C turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Svtwv

Default how much psi???on a stock T-C turbo?

How much psi can you or should you run on a stock turbo? like 18 or 20? with a tune? Im asking because I recently purchased a 88 TC e6 manifold an turbo. Im puttin them on a 85 svo motor..also with a ported e6 35# injectors, .422 lift cam, walbro 255 pump..fmic...does anyone know what kind of numbers I should be around?even at just a stock boost of 15? jw
Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

It's going to be difficult for anyone to give you numbers. I've ran 19psi with an ihi, 21 with a .63 T3 (intercooled) with the stock restrictive engine. The more modifications you do the less psi you'll be capable of running with those turbos.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Regular gas probably no more than 18, 20 at best. That IHI is going to hit real hard, and knock will be difficult to suppress.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Svtwv

thanks for the info..yea I figured the numbers would be hard to guess at. So of the svo turbos..an T-C's turbos which is better?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

84-85 SVOs got the .63 T3, in 85.5-86 they stepped down to the .48 T3. Little better spool response, little less efficient at higher boost numbers. I know the 87-88 TCs had the smaller IHI, I believe pre-87 manual cars got the .63 while autos got the .48.

"Better" depends on use. If you are looking for peak HP numbers you want the larger ones, while the smaller T3/IHI would benefit an autocross/light-to-light race type setup.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
4bangstang

I heard those ihi turbos spool fast and hit hard and have a limit of about 18-20 psi like everyone else says. They limit you to less than 250 hp. The problem with those are they are good for getting those heavy birds moving but the tubo is really inefficient and they die off. There is another site that specializes in t-birds called NATO and they recommend upgrading to a t3 super 60. Apparently the compressor maps on those are pretty good but a Garrett T3 60 trim is better in my opinion and they are stock on svo stangs. They support 300 hp which is the limit for 35 # injectors anyway.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRBOPWR
"Better" depends on use. If you are looking for peak HP numbers you want the larger ones, while the smaller T3/IHI would benefit an autocross/light-to-light race type setup.
He said it best.

Personally I think the .63 a/r t3 is the best of the ford 2.3 turbo, but I prefer more power. I do think the ihi's are more fun to drive around with, but the car isn't nearly as fast. Are you just looking to stick with the factory turbo options? As 4bangstang said, there are other turbos that are very bolt on friendly if you're looking for more power. I've been very pleased with my hx35; very cheap (used), pretty well bulletproof, capable of high p/r's efficiently; A previous board member here ran his up to 35psi & put down around 515-530whp; a variety of exhaust housings, & you can build a hybrid out of them (with other holset parts). They pull incredibly hard up top & have a decent boost threshold if setup properly. I see full boost by around 2800rpm. The cost alone sold me, I got mine for $200.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Svtwv

welll for right now Im looking at stock options..to get the car running an fun to drive around..as Im fixing it up.The car came with a brand new turbo inbox from ebay..Its one of the t3/t4 hybrid jobs any input on this?so i was just going to use the ihi an the e6 for now.I want to look at the t3 on the car cuz I think someone had said they seen shaviings in or around it when they were under the hood but I havent had time to check anything out..this is my first turbo'd vehicle so Im learning everything on the go..so was $200 cheap for you hx35?or is that a price than can be found out often?I did a little research an that number comes up as a factory late 90's cummins turbo..I think..thanks for all the opinions on this its much better than a shot in the dark
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

The Chinese T3/T4s are very hit and miss. Some seem to give up on startup, some last a couple thousand miles, and a very few last a long time. Personally, I view them as a ticking timebomb, and not worth the bother of running. Some modify the oil feed/drain and that helps it last longer.

The Holset is a popular swap. You can find them reasonably priced online. For a stockish setup you would benefit from having a smaller housing.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I agree with trbopwr. I wouldn't run one of those turbos as they come if possible. I've never found any issues with oil feed or drain on the ones I've worked with, but I would at least have the balance checked if you're going to continue running one.. I've always dealt with jim & gerry at gpop shop for balancing or resizing my turbines/compressors. They're fairly cheap & have always been great help in the past.

I highly recommend inspecting and, if possible, rebuilding any used turbo before using it, especially if there is a moderate degree of shaft play. I've had one where the coking was so bad the bearing was stuck to the turbine shaft & required pliers to remove it, but it had very little shaft play.

Most of the hx35's seem to go for around $300-350. I bought mine from a guy on a cummins forum for $200. The chra, turbine, & compressor were in perfect shape. The compressor & exhaust housing were a little messed up, but I didn't mind because I had intended on modifying them. Some people just cut back the divider & use the stock wastegate on an e6 manifold, but I had planned on building a split scroll header & running external wastegates.

Factory look:
http://www.mjmturbos.com/images/HolsetHX35W.jpg

Mine:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9601/turbo3xg.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9488/turbo1.jpg

Quick Reply: how much psi???on a stock T-C turbo?