4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Help! Overheating Problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM
MrBigSexy

Default Help! Overheating Problem!!!!

I'm about to go crazy!!! My 1990 2.3L Mustang LX is overheating and it seems almost IMPOSSIBLE to fix!!!!

In trying to fix this problem, I have replaced:
Radiator (Replaced what I think was original with a Ready-Rad P.O.S)
Radiator Cap
Water Pump (2 years ago, and again just today!)
Thermostat (with a SuperStat)
Temperature Sending Unit
6 - 8 Jugs of Antifreeze

The upper radiator hose is near new. The lower radiator hose is older but still intact. The heater hoses are a little burnt from bumping into the engine, but nothing serious. The fan is hardwired to run constantly, but it DOESN'T HELP AT ALL. I cannot drive more than 1/4 of a mile without the car running towards the top. Idling takes longer to overheat, but it will eventually overheat. Driving makes the heat rise faster.

I took out the old radiator and tried my best to flush it, and reverse flush it, with water. I also threw some muriatic acid, hot water, and CLR in it, and let it sit for a while to try and clear the core out. I dunno if it worked or not, I went ahead and replaced radiator today.

It all started the day that a friend of mine put R-134a in the A/C. The A/C worked wonderfully. We topped off the oil with a quart because it seemed a little low. We drove out to some place near Rt. 29 & Rt. 28 where we parked the car. While the car was parked, a brownish liquid started pouring out of the reservoir tank. On the way back the car started overheating, but apparently the fan had become disconnected. Even after reconnecting the fan the car still refused to run at a cool temperature and after dropping him off, made a mad dash for home.

The few days prior I think I might have mixed orange and green coolant in the radiator. I dunno if this does anything bad or not, which is why the coolant was brown.
It seems like the ONLY option left is a clog in the engine, but everybody keeps saying that would be impossible.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
mikerp76
1st Gear Member

mixing green and orange coolant is a bad idea. you may have to flush the engine out as well. try pulling the lower hose and flush through the upper heater hose. also what mix are you running you coolant at?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
MrBigSexy

Default Coolant

I usually use the "Ready-to-use" bottles. Although I mix the concentrated stuff to around 50% when I have it.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 AM
mikerp76
1st Gear Member

have you tried to run it with out the thermostat in it and see if it tried to over heat? also try to power wash the ac acndensor to make sure it isn't cloged up with bugs or dirt as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 AM
MrBigSexy

Default Thermostat

I'll try it in the morning.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:02 AM
7_Zero
2nd Gear Member

Was the brown coolant just dirty/rusty brown, or did it appear to have oil in it? If it has oil it could be a bad head gasket. If you can do a leak down or compression test it will help eliminate or confirm the head gasket.

Is your air dam installed? If it is missing it would not cause the problems you are having, but it helps direct air to your radiator allowing it to work more efficiently.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
MrBigSexy

I took the SuperStat thermostat out and the car was running great today.

I'm not sure if I have an air dam installed or not.

The brown stuff looked mostly like particles and bits of rust to me. It settles at the bottom of the coolant.And then a little bit of orange and green coolant mixed together.

I don't have a compression test kit, but I think I could rent one from Advance or someplace.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 AM
mikerp76
1st Gear Member

i would get some radiator flush and flush the enitre cooling system. also run teh car while the thermostat is out and remove the radiator cap and see if any bubbles are appearing.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 AM
7_Zero
2nd Gear Member

If there is a dark oily residue floating on the top of the coolant then you should be concerned, but since it is just sediment you should be okay. A good flush should help take care of that.

When you ran the car without the thermostat did it overheat at all? Do you know what heat range your thermostat is? You might either have a thermostat with a temp setting that is too high for your car, or maybe the thermostat was installed backwards and not allowing any water to pass. Check to make sure that you did not get any sealant on the thermostat, that will prevent it from opening up as well.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 AM
MrBigSexy

Ok, so I drove around my Mustang for the rest of the day without the thermostat. The temperature ran around 158 - 186 F. Around 190 - 200 F I would flip the fan on, and the temperature would freeze and slowly crawl back down.

I ran into a couple incidents that would have worried me, but they turned out ok.

I will check for the bubbles. What would the bubbles in the radiator mean?

Quick Reply: Help! Overheating Problem!!!!