4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

ebay turbo....and holset turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

So if i wanted to turbo my '93 2.3 Mustang what would be involved? First off i've seen ya'll talking about the pistons are cast (i.e. crappy) but could i get away with 6-8 psi of boost on them? I dnt really want to completly rebuild my motor yet. i cnt afford to have the car down for more than a few days so, i was think if i adjusted the waste gate to around 6-8 psi i should be safe correct?

I was looking into a T3/T4 turbo set up. http://www.amazon.com/HYBRID-INLET-O.../dp/B004AR4SRU this is what i've been looking at. What do you think? I'm just looking for cheap power for my Mustang. After basic the car is coming off the road for an overhaul being that i'll have the money to do so.

What could i exspect to see from a stock 2.3 with 6-8 psi? Probably not much?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

You would definitely notice a difference. Weather good or bad, idk?

The stock tune was never meant to recognize boost. I'm not sure how it would handle it. If I were to guess, probably make you go lean and detonate. But like I said, just a guess.

If you wanted to try it, get an IHI turbo and exhaust manifold from an 87-88 turbo coupe. a T3 hybrid would be a waste only running that kind of psi. I believe the stock turbo cars were running 9psi and they all had forged pistons for a reason.

If I were you, just wait and save your money so you can do it once the right way.

Just a thought
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

I'm completly new to turbos, 4-cylinders, and fuel injection. I know just enough to hurt my car haha.

So how would u suggest i go about this? Should i get a SD ecu for my car while i do the turbo modifications. Or would that require major rewiring? Also, with just 6-8 psi would i have to upgrade my fuel system?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Forced Induction specialties

Hey i have a couple turbonetics turbos for a good deal if your interested
Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

Deffinatly. PM me man
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

What do ya'll think about a top mount intercooler?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 AM

There a little better then no intercooler but i would waste the money on it. The point of a ic is to lower the temps and with top mounts you have the engine heat going threw the ic if your going to do it do a front mount or water to air
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

The best way to do it is to buy a doner car and take the drive train and all fuel injection components. You would more than likely need bigger injectors and better fuel pump. Neither of those will help you with the stock ECU.

You cant just grab an SD computer and plug it in. All the SD systems from the factory were still using TFI and distributor ignition. Your mass air 8 plug engine uses coil pack ignition so not only will you need to convert the ignition, you will need all the correct sensors for the SD computer, and re-pin the wiring harness while changing the wiring under the hood.

The intercooler itself from the factory actually flows pretty good air. But being placed right on top of the exhaust side of the engine almost makes it worse. You can still use that cooler, but move it so its somewhere in front of the radiator so it can get some fresh air.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Let me know about a turbo I have some turbonetics journal bearing brand new for as low as $620
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

Would it be possible to adjust an ecu that is set up for Mass Air to accept boost? I've been looking into this Quarter Horse fully tuneable chip. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Quick Reply: ebay turbo....and holset turbos