4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

ebay turbo....and holset turbos

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Cobra Kai Dojo

i'd definitely go with a front mount vs. a top mount intercooler. top mounts get heat soaked so much easier. no brainer; especially when you are more or less doing a "custom" setup.

i've used turbonetics turbos before and i loved it. i had a ball bearing unit that was quick spooling. it is a little bit more than a journal bearing unit though.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

i figured a top mount intercooler would be a lil bit dumb just because it is about the engine with no air flowing to it. but i figured i might as well ask just in case it is some freak thing that it magically flows well XD

but has anyone ever used the Quarter Horse?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

I have not used it. I was thinking about buying one until this had came available. Stingers new PiMP ECU. Check it out.

http://www.stinger-performance.com/universalparts.html

I think he is still doing pre-orders. Once he gets a batch done he sends them out to the people on a list in order.

I'll be installing mine over the fall/winter. Seems like a better way to go than the Quarter Horse in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

thats kinda pricey for me at this moment. i really wanna see what happens with ur car when u put this PiMP ecu on it.

The QH is cheaper in comparison and also offers real time data logging and allows me to fully tune my eec iv
Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 AM
CamOnlyWS6
1st Gear Member

I personally wouldn't reccomend an ebay turbo, I had one on my 98 eclipse GS-T and it didnt START spooling until 5000RPMs so it had a whole 800 RPM powerband....If you go to Usedturbos.com (I think that is right) they have brand new and refurbished turbo's for $500-$1000 which will work great.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

The Pimp is the newest system out. There have been others, including Bamafuel several years ago, and wilson racing still builds them. The plug and play systems are great, but as you said, quite pricey. If you do the research you can purchase and assemble the system yourself for far less cost. Not to mention that the majority of the 2.3T world is moving towards MegaSquirt, so you will have more support with it than the Quarter Horse setup, and the tuning is easier to do with the MegaSquirt.

I love my MS system, definitely one of the best modifications I have done. Smoother idle, tunable fuel and timing tables, and upping the injector to whatever I want is great. Definitely further unlocks the potential of the car.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

i've done a lil research on the MS system. what r the build it kits?? also what setup do u recomend? i'm not looking for a $500 set up.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

DIY autotune has a website that specializes in MS kits, plug-and-play systems and the much cheaper build it yourself kits. Personally I have a Wilson Racing MS kit that runs about the same price as the PiMP setup. I got it used though, and with 75# injectors for $550. Megasquirt is Megasquirt, who you get it from won't change much. The big difference is that plug-and-play systems are more expensive, but are guaranteed to work and come with a base tune. Build it yourself is cheaper, but more technical knowledge is required and making your own tune can be time consuming. I went into MS wanting a system I could simply plug in and it would work, leaving just the tuning to me. Depends on your preference.

If you are getting serious you should sign up for turboford. They don't put up with much crap or questions that have been answered a million times, but it is a wealth of information...and better yet you may be able to score a used MS system on there for what you are looking to spend.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Mr93MoStang
1st Gear Member

Isn't the MS setup SD? I wanna keep the car Mass Air if possible. Also this sounds really stupid... i cnt figure out how to register for TF :/ haha i'm liking how the MS system is sounding tho.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Yes, it is. Any particular reason why you are against the speed density? Just curious.

Quick Reply: ebay turbo....and holset turbos