4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

ebay turbo....and holset turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Svtwv

Default ebay turbo....and holset turbos

Ok..what is anyones take on ebay turbos?ive searched all over and its hit an miss...some ppl say junk..and alot of people say they have had good luck and power out of them with a oil restrictor..I have one of these new in box...and the other ? is a holset hx35 a good upgrade for this motor?is there any problems as to more lag or anything vs the stock t3..i wanted to eventually upgrade to a holset but wanted to use the ebay for awhile..but if its gonna be a issue i may just hold off and go with holset from the start. any input is appreciated thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
SKAR

Chinese turbos have really gone up in quality, depending on how the one you have is put together I wouldnt hesitate using it. An oil restrictor is a good idea as they do let a lot of oil through them.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Svtwv

Thanks, it seems to be made pretty good. any idea on deciding a restrictor size?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 PM
SKAR

would you be using braided line for the oil feed? Google would be a good bet to find
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM
zinsavage123
1st Gear Member

most are garbage. ****ty piping and quality parts.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 PM
SKAR

lolwut

not a kit, a turbo itself. I remember cases where the housings would be held together with some sort of glue. Mines on my 3rd engine now with at the most 20psi and is "abused"

theres even chunks out of the cold side housing from where a rod hit it during an engine self disassembly.....
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
GT350R

IMO...

When I built my 2.3T years ago, I bought a holset because the Chinese turbo's were being advertized as Garret's. So You had no idea what you were actually buying. So I bought a Holset. Hy35w , back before anyone was running them, and they were dirt cheap. Think I paid 200 shipped for a brand new one. I am 100% glad I did , and would do it again. Its been 8-10 years now at 32psi and it has never even had a hicup.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

With as cheap as brand new name brand turbos can be, I would not even consider using an Ebay turbo. They are still pretty hit and miss. Some people can get one that lasts the life of the engine and beyond, other grenade as soon as you turn the key. And if you have to use a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo, in most cases thats a bad sign in itself. The only turbos that should need a restrictor are the ball bearing turbos that require much less oil to operate properly.

The HX35 is an awesome turbo for these engines! To make the most of it, you will want to help it out with some tuning/fuel upgrades. It won't spool as quick as the T3's that your used to, but once they are spinning, hang on!

If those were your 2 options, I would go right to the Holset and pawn that chinese piece off to someone else.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Svtwv

thanks for the information. Im going to sell the ebay one, im running a borg warner gm4 now, got a good deal on it just have to fab a new o2 housing
Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Borg Warner makes a good turbo. I don't know a lot about them, but I know they are a good quality unit. I'm sure that will last longer than that chinese piece

Quick Reply: ebay turbo....and holset turbos