Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4 Cylinder NA and Turbo
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
nseoi
4th Gear Member

Default Misfire Help

1992 2.3L Auto

**Skip to Summary if you dont want the backstory**

Hey guys, I havent been on in a long time but I'm desperate for some help. My 2.3 has been running like a champ for a few years now and i treat it to only the finest oils and filters.

Recently, it started having random misfires. The idle is nice and smooth but under acceleration it would bounce the tach and misfire. I figured it was time for a tuneup and since i hadnt changed the factory ignition coils yet i did that and the sparkplugs. It got a little better but a few days into it the misfire came back and got worse. I changed the sparkplug wires and still same deal. I then decided it might be the wiring harness connectors for the ignition coils since they had seen better days so I scored some perfect ones from the junkyard. The misfire finished off with my valve cover gasket so i had to replace that as well. Looked up what else could be the problem after running codes (223 and 224) and decided it might be the crank position sensor. Replaced that. While doing the CPS i noticed the timing belt was a little old and out of tension so i replaced that as well.

Last night i got the engine all back together and i turned it on. The idle was smoother than before (if possible) and when i took it out of the driveway down the block it was peppier than it had ever been. Finally after like second gear and under some stronger acceleration the misfire came back. This morning I took the TFI to AutoZone and it checked out fine. I'm at my wits' end. HELP!

SUMMARY:
*2.3 Auto has good idle and misfires under moderate to heavy acceleration.
*NEW: Duralast Coil Packs, Autolite Copper Spark Plugs (Gapped to .054), Duralast Spark Plug Wires, Duralast Crankshaft Position Sensor, Duralast Timing Belt.
*TFI Module Checks out at AutoZone diagnostic station
*Codes 223 224

THANKS!!
-Mario
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2.3, dis, ignition, misfire, mustang