4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

cooling fan still non functional

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
mustangIIfan

Originally Posted by jtgerik
Well as the article said.. that would indicate that the ircm is. likely ok.. I believe that article was in relation to a 91.. thus the fan difference? Have you tried to replace the coolant temp sensor?
the only sensor i replaced was the ECT that is mounted on my heater hose. i have heard of another sensor for coolant but i cannot find it. according to autozone.com repair guides its on passenger side near back mounted in the head but my whole pass side head has the exhaust manifold covering pretty much the whole thing. i also heard that one is for the gauge the one mounted on heater hose is for the ircm to signal the fan. i used to have a Chiltons guide but was in my last mustang i sold, so all i have to help me is the autozone repair guides and there are no pictures in the removal of these sensors. pictures really help people out

Last edited by mustangIIfan; 03-12-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
mustangIIfan

great news guys, looks like i finally solved my cooling fan problem (HAAAZAAA). I spliced a 14 gauge wire into my 12v key on source in my radio harness (ill probably swap for a 10 gauge tomorrow) and ran that to the "power" pin on a 3 pin 12v 10 amp toggle switch, i then cut the positive wire on my fan and ran wire to the "acc" on my switch, finally i grounded the switch under my dash to the body. I turned the key and flipped the switch and boom fan turned on and ran normal, i switched it off and it went off, then i turned the switched on again and turned the key off and fan turned off. Ill probably run a fuse in the key on wire so i dont fry my system. I know its not a good idea to use toggle switch but it works for now and i can drive my car.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM
90_notch
1st Gear Member

I have a 90, and it has a black cooling fan and A/C relay box under the dash on the drivers side, just behind the fuse block. I swapped out the single fan for dual fans for a V8 swap, and smoked the circuit board in this box from drawing too much power, and the fans stopped working. I traced out the wiring to find this box. I had to bypass this to get power back to the fan. Since I had added an extrnal relay to fix the issue. You may want to check to see if this box is there on your 93. I believe the brown wire is hot with the key to the box, and the blue wire feeds power out to the fan. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
mustangIIfan

Originally Posted by 90_notch
I have a 90, and it has a black cooling fan and A/C relay box under the dash on the drivers side, just behind the fuse block. I swapped out the single fan for dual fans for a V8 swap, and smoked the circuit board in this box from drawing too much power, and the fans stopped working. I traced out the wiring to find this box. I had to bypass this to get power back to the fan. Since I had added an extrnal relay to fix the issue. You may want to check to see if this box is there on your 93. I believe the brown wire is hot with the key to the box, and the blue wire feeds power out to the fan. Hope this helps.
the black box you speak of i believe is not present under my dash, it is instead mounted on my passenger side strut tower. since i have EDIS my cooling fan relay is inside the box called the IRCM which i have already replaced and still no deal, but im good now, i got it wired to a toggle switch and also a thermostat aftermarket
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Adrien

Well run a jumper from the sensor probe, pin to floor with the key on. When the light red cable is based, the reduced motorists part fan should run. If the fan, runs the ICM is OK.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

87-90 uses the black TWR box under the dash.
91-93 uses the sensor in the heater line and the IRCM box. Now the ECT sensor [one in the heater hose does not directly control the fan. It tell the computer what temp the water is and that tells fan to come on or not.
Now the AC control turns the fan on when the AC is on if the AC is operation [full of freon etc]. So if turn AC on and fan comes on IRCM and fan is good.
First I would do is pull the codes. Then go from there. The IRCM has history of failure from what I read on forum.
Now hooking fan power from wire near radio is bad idea in my thoughts. Reason the fan takes a lot of power. Sure fire way of blowing fuses or melting wires. If want to go that way get a fan kit from local autoparts and wire to relay with fuse.
Maurice