4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Just dies sporaticly

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Wagn

Default Just dies sporaticly

'92 ragtop, 2.3 dual plug, all stock.
Engine cranks and runs fine but spontaneously shuts off as though ignition was turned off. No consistent trigger, happens any time, any engine temp.
If it happens at idle, it just dies completely. If it happens at higher rpm, it dies but then catches back on and continues running.
No CEL and no codes or anything. Already changed EEC, ICM, MAF, fuel filter, and ignition switch; and checked grounds and fuse links.
Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM
mrz2207

maybe something wrong with your distributor
Old 10-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Wagn

Nah, its DIS. Also new plugs, wires and coils recently so doubt any of that is messing up.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM
mrz2207

yea then i would check your grounds and fuses, im not too familiar with the fox body mustangs so i cant really help much. Hopefully someone jumps in here and gives you a better answer.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

For what it's worth, I had the exact same problem on my 01 Cobra and never resolved it, so it's not necessarily a Fox Body only issue. I had checked the electronics and not found anything obvious (though I'm not an expert by any means). I started looking at the fuel pump and filter next. I changed the filter and I don't think it happened again before I sold it, but it was such a sporadic issue to begin with that I am not sure if that was merely coincidence or if it was fixed...
Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Wagn

Sometimes when it dies at higher rpm (driving or parked), it catches back on and continues running. And sometimes it doesn't catch back. When it doesn't, I can sometimes turn key off one click and back to key on and engine fires back up running without having to key completely to crank it.
Plot thickens here. Changed entire throttle body assembly with TPS and everything, cranks up and runs fine, doesn't die, no misses or anything, but CEL comes on with about a dozen codes. Then found out it was also only running on one coil because clip on plug broke and backed out. Plugged 2nd coil in and CEL goes out but sporadic kill comes back.
Could this be DPI related??
And of course car has typical messed up tach that jumps to 3-4k rpm when turn key on.
Oh, and inertia switch is okay, too. Again, any suggestions??
Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Wagn

Discovered interesting little detail when it dies. After it dies, the CEL does not come on at all. Even when you turn key off and back on, CEL is still out... Like it thinks its still running or something. After a minute or two, I guess something resets on its own and CEL will come back on when turning key on, and when it does, it will crank up and run just fine.

What is this?!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Check your battery cables. Mine would do that and I had a loose cable.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Wagn

When it dies and CEL does not come back on, the radio and other accessories still come on and work. But, the fuel pump doesn't kick on for the one second like suppose to when turning key to run position.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Does the car turn over still? You may have a loose wire on your fuel pump and it looses power causing you to "run out of fuel" or the pump is going to die completely.

Quick Reply: Just dies sporaticly