4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

My Four Banger

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Greg Rouse

Default My Four Banger

I'm relatively still new here and thought I could just get in some time with y'all, post some info bout my newest lady and ask some questions. I'm out here in Fort Worth Texas so you have to know that heat is an issue out here. I'm rolling in a 1993 LX Hatchback 4 cylinder. My biggest two issues now are my A/C and acceleration concerns.

1st my A/C: my unit works fine, but it seriously drains my battery power. Is it as simple as replacing my alternator with one with a higher output? Or is there something else I can do?

2nd my Acceleration: this is my second 4cylinder lx but this one doesn't have any of the acceleration power that my first one did. With money being an issue, how can I begin to increase power for quicker traffic entering ability and so that I don't lose momentum when driving up hill?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 AM
MnemonicGhost
1st Gear Member

I don't know how the A/C draws power, as that could only be the blower motor. The A/C compressor is driven off the engine, only the vent fan/blower will use eletricity.

Sounds like you may have a bad A/C compressor or an alternator, or something else causing drag on your accessory belt. Cheapest route is to get the alternator output tested and go from there. Replacing that should be about a hundred bucks give or take, if you do it yourself.

As far as general power, with a 93 2.3l there cheapest thing is just standard maintenence. Clean filters, remove the lower airbox snorkle, throttle body cleaned out, clean MAF with electrical solvent, run fuel injector cleaner through fuel lines, sea foam, change all eight spark plugs, new plug wires. All of the above combined should be under 200 bucks easy.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Greg Rouse

Thanks, I do plan on changing out the compressor and alternator regardless. But I haven't had a loss of power like this before, nor have I had my battery meter take a drop like that whenever I ran it. I did have an issue once before, but that was because I put this $1500 stereo system in one. Every time I turned that amp on that battery meter jumped around like the display on a graphic analyzer!

I definitely need a major tune up. So I'll get on that first then look at what I should replace first. I'm leaning toward the alternator.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Check the cam/crank timing. mine was off a few teeth and it ran fine but was low on power.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Greg Rouse

Thank you Pony, I'll have my new mechanic look into that.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Greg Rouse

Well it turns out that I had a bad cylinder. Cylinder 3 was operating around half the pressure of the other 3. I had two choices; I could remove the engine and have it rebuilt or simply purchase a new one. I was able to find another engine for only $550. My mechanic will have it installed for $600.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 AM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

On your alternator. The 2.3 Mustang has a weak alternator especially if have a sound system. Now get largest battery that will fit. Next change over to 3G alternator. I got one off a v-6 Mustang. List of donar cars you need the 7 1/2" spacing.
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=3g+alternator
Now just mount. I used a wiring harness off a 96 or so f-150. Wiring looks complicated. It is not. One small wire to spice into and rest to solinoid. [If like me break the solinoid bolt off, get a Ford one, Autoparts one's are JUNK]My original alternator. Notice one 2 wires [big to solinoid and second to splice]
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...gmidget003.jpg
Picture of install.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...gmidget004.jpg Got all parts from local pull part got less than 30 dollars. Best money spent.
Maurice
Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Greg Rouse

That's some great info, thanks a bunch on that mg man. I recently got some things checked out on the A/C and found I have some really bad hoses. They can't even get any freon to stay in the system long enough to check anything else out on the vehicle. So I'm looking at $300 and change just to change out the hoses from one of my mechanics. I will put it on hold and check my "alternate" mechanic to see what he'll do for me.

In the mean time I will be getting the exhaust maintenance'd first. I need a new muffler and I'm having stainless steel pipes 2.5" added. one will be just for show since I'm only running one muffler for now. but the guy says he can still weld it into place for me.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 PM
gogone3
1st Gear Member

a bigger battery will help out
Old 12-11-2013, 12:33 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

hey Greg, I am also in Ft. Worth. I have a 93 hatch 2.3 5 speed and use it as my daily driver. with the help of knowledgeable ppl on here ive kept her running like a top. hows your exhaust going? I went to a ranger header and have a stock cast iron manifold that's practically brand new if your interested. ive also done the 3g alt swap and its not hard at all. if you need any help just send me a im or reply to post.

Quick Reply: My Four Banger