5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

H Pipe or X pipe on a 94 GT

Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Default H Pipe or X pipe on a 94 GT

Not sure which i am going with yet. any sugestions would be Great.
Here is what i have for the engine: E303 cam, GT Heads, BBK ceramic shorties, lifters and roller rockers, I am lookin to get a BBK race series SSI intake.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: H Pipe or X pipe on a 94 GT

Go with the sound you like the best. What catback are you running on the car?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

The x pipe will net you a few more hp while the h pipe will have more of a low rumble like the older muscle cars. It's pretty much your preference and x pipes don't sound bad by any means. I'm getting an h-pipe when I get to that point.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

wow a 100% of people voted for h pipes...thats crazy lol
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

wow a 100% of people voted for h pipes...thats crazy lol

I have had both, and I love the sound of both. I really like the sound of the X-pipe though, it just sounds so clean and crisp. Hard to explain of course, but I really like it and get a lot of compliments. Of course i did with the H on my old car too.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:48 AM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

The sound of an X pipe is hard to describe. Its a tad raspier, and a tad higher pitched, but I think it sounds alot better. After having an X, I will never buy another H pipe again.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:19 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

i would also go with the x although im not going to vote because i like both lol. But i would choose the x just because of the performance even though it is soooo minimal.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: golden_eye
The x pipe will net you a few more hp while the h pipe will have more of a low rumble like the older muscle cars. It's pretty much your preference and x pipes don't sound bad by any means...
The sound of an X pipe is hard to describe. Its a tad raspier, and a tad higher pitched,
From my understanding an x pipe can net a bit more hp on the top end and will have a bit of a different sound
From experiance; installing 2.5" bbk x pipe w/ cats on my 1991 (kept the flowmaster cat back 2.5" it already had)
The tone DID def. change, it lost the low burble-rumble and now has a more high pitched tinny-sound, honestly I dont like the sound as much, there was no "seat of the pants" change, but then again my 5.0 engine is totally stock (for now) except the exhaust system and electric fan. (I DID take out the air silencer after first few days of ownership)

Unless you are trying to get the last few hp at the top end to use I would say go for h-pipe IF you can get it cheaper. My 1992 stick car has some aftermarket 2.5" h-pipe and really old flowmasters and it has the baddass burble almost deep underwater sound that classic 5.0 + flowmaster combo sound, maybe its common but still its pretty nice!!

My 1991 auto car is gonna stay with the x pipe, 1)its already purchased 2)mac Pro chambers dont come with cats for 87-93 3)going to be my strip car when my new engine is finished so Its probably a good fit for the application

good luck
Old 11-25-2007, 02:45 PM
The Whistler

Let's see, after spending several hours trying different combos and dyno runs the combo that I found the best HP and Torque was the MAC Prochamber. I tested the Prochamber with both MAC and Flowmaster cat back setups, and I have both. 94 GT vert with MAC Pc with MAC catback. 95 GTS with MAC Pc and flow master 40's catback. But again the Prochamber netted the Best HP and Torque combo.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:48 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

i like H. its old-school, but X have that new age muscle car sound to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H Pipe or X pipe on a 94 GT