General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

fox body engine swap-2.3 to 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
86fox460cid

Default fox body engine swap-2.3 to 460

I am embarking on a 460 swap into my 86 fox body whch currently is powered by a 2.3 4 cylinder. What parts do I need and what modifications will the car require? If anyone can help me out I would greatly apprreciate it. The more I now before I start the better off I think I will be.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: fox body engine swap-2.3 to 460

It is a piece of cake! I did a 1981 mustang that was a 4 cylinder car and I put a 460 in it back in 1986 or 7. At the time the only one that had a bolt in kit was Koffman. Now a days there are quite a few more kits and better ones at that. You can buy a set of motor mounts off of ebay for like 40 to 80 dollar for the pair. At least the last ones I looked at sold for that.
You can put the engine and trany in together and if you are careful you will not hit anything and it will fall right in the motor mounts (right where the 4 cylinder motormounts use to go)!! 4 cyl and V8 have the same mounts in the engine compartment.6 cyl's are different, so stay away from those cars unless you want to change the whole cross member. 79 to 04 mustangs pretty much have the same engine compartment. A 460 will fit in all of those years. I do not know about the 2005 and up because I have not put a 460 in one of those YET!!!
If you have some old Popular HotRodding or Fabulous Mustang and Exotic Ford Magazines from 1990 to 1991. You will see my car in them. It was a Orange mustang that I put all the 1990 mustang body parts on. It was also in Hot Rod magazine in, I think it was Jan 1990.
I narrowed a 9in ford rearend and did not tub it. With9.1 to 1 compression ,w/o nos,292 comp cam, 4:11 gears, McCreary street tires andopen exhaust,it ran 11.50's spinning the first 20 feet or so. No one could beleave how good the car ran. Now remember when I did this there were hardly any piston to buy except either 8.5 to 1 or 12 to 1 pistons. I wanted 10.5 to 1 compression. But after shaving the heads and pistons to get the values to clear I ended up with 9.1 to 1. I wish I still had that car today. I would bolt a BIG turbo on it and I would be going at least 2 seconds faster the I was then!
We have been talking about putting a nother mustang together with a 460 and putting a turbo on it. We are thinking about doing it for dirt cheap. Just to show poeple that you can build a car for a couple of thousand and go fast for CHEAP!!! And I mean like running at lest 11's!!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

By the way you do not have to modify the body or engine compartment at all. Leave the 4 cylinder spring in it. They rebound faster the the V8 springs. And get rid of the sway bar. By doing that you will have better 60ft times. Also take all the black tar out from underneath the carpet, there is alot of it, Cut the bars out of the doors(they weight alot) and try to find bumpers from a Cobra 4cyl turbo or maybe a SVO. Those bumper are aluminum and will save you some weight. My car weighted 3400lbs with a 8 point rollcage,full tank of gas and me in it. And I weighted around 180lbs back then.
If you do this you will have alot of fun with it. But on the other hand you can run a 2.3 turbo engine in it and with aLITTLE work go just as fast.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:51 PM
86fox460cid

O.K. thanx for the tips I need to know what tranny mount will work the best. I am putting a mildly done C6 in, small stall,stage 2 and a B& M shifter. Will stock 460 car motor mounts work or do I need a special set of mounts? Probably gonna run an aluminum rad with an electric fan and water pump. battery will be in the trunk of course, but can i run stock power steering and brakes too? I will probrbly run a 9" rear end with 4:11 gears( I have one out of 69 cougar). This car is being built in my garage, by me on a very limited budget so I need to save as much money on parts as I can. All tips and tricks will be helpful.Thanx again.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

The trany mount that is on the C6 will work. And if I remember right you want to find a stock trany cross member that has humps on both sides for your exhaust to clear.
As for the motor mount keep and eye out on ebay or google to find someone that sells them. A stock mount will not work. At least none that I know of. But there are a few companys out there that make mounts for that engine swap now. Also try to find the biggest tube header you can find. You might look into buying a complete kit to do the swap. It might save you time.
If you do not buy a kit you will want to find pan that has a small front and bigger rear sump. As for the oil pump you will have to get is a pump for a E350 (80's van) and you will need the oil pick-up for that also. It bolts on the pump and goes to the rear of the pan. Do not foget to get the main bearing cap bolt that has a stud off of it to hold the rear sump pick-up. If you do not have that it will crack the rear pick-up tube from the viberation and you will loose oil presure and then you will have to pull the engine to replace it.
I had a manual rack in mine and it did not drive bad at all. But yes you can still run power steering.
You can run 10 inche rims in the rear if you narrow the rear end to fit those rims that are under the car.
Any other question just ask.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 AM
kgray

ANGLIAYOU HAVESOME GREAT POINTS BUTGO WITH A 460!! ALMOST ANY BIGBLOCK 429/460IN STOCK FORM WILL PUT OUT 475+HP AND 500+ TQ AT THE FLYWHEEL AND WITH MILD MOD'S WILL MAKE EVEN A TON MORE. THE ENGINEERS AT FORD CONSIDERED THE 460 TO BE A STROKED VERSION OF THE 429!THINK OF THE COST OF WHAT IT WOULD TAKE TO BUILD A RELIABLE 500HP SMALL BLOCK? 5K PLUS FOR JUST THE ENGINE THATS TAPPING INTO MONEY THAT COULD BE SPENT ELSEWHERE. REMEMBER THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES! YOU CAN TURN A BIGBLOCK 6K RPM AND MAKE JUST AS MUCH POWER AS YOU CAN TURNING A 302 OR WINDSOR BASED ENGINE AT 7,500 RPM. IT JUST SIMPLY DOES'NT HAVE TO WORK AS HARD. AND ITS EASIER ON PARTS. YOU CAN PUT A 15X10 WHEEL ON THE BACK WITHOUT NARROWING OR MINI TUBBING THE CAR BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO USE A 26X10.5 WITH IT AND FIQURE OUT THE BACKSPACE. AS FOR THE BRAKES ISSUE BUY A MASTER CYL. FORAN OLDER MUSTANG WITH MANUAL BRAKESI PAID 22.00 FOR MINE FROM ADVANCE WITH CORE EXCHANGE.THE PISTON DIAMETER IS LARGER THAN THAT OF A VACCUM ASSIST, WHICH GIVES YOU MOREBRAKING POWER.I WENT TO A SALVAGE YARD AND FOUND A MUSTANG WITH A STRAIGHT 6 AND MANUAL BRAKES THE OWNER SAID IF I PULLED THE PARTS IT WAS FREE SO I KEPT THE ADAPTER PLATE AND THE ROD AND GAVE ADVANCE THE OLD MASTER CYL. AS THE CORE.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

Did I say not to go with a 460 and run a small block? And yesallpre injection 429/460 all had 429 cast in the blocks. The crank is different in the 460 then a 429. A429 has a 3.59 inch stroke and a 460 has a 3.85 inch stroke, thus the 385 engine family.A stock 1970 429/460 came with only 365hp not 475hp! During its earlier years, pre 1973, horsepower was rated at 365. After 1972 horsepower ranged from 208 to 275.
I shifted my 460 at 6800 rpms and it never missed a beat. Once in awhile it went to 7200 rpms. But I tried not to make a habit of it. I narrowed a 31 spline 9 inch rear end to fit the 10x15's under the car just so I would not have to use any spacers. I ran 28 inch tall tires that had 11 inches of tread and the car sat low, Not jacked up in the rear. I had 28 spline axles before but I spun the spline off of the left axle so I ent to 31's after that.
As for the larger piston diameter for the brakes? You have that backwards a smaller diameter piston gives you more pressure and a larger gives you more volume. I made the mistake of putting a 1 1/8 inch piston master cylinder on my Anglia andit was all I could do to slow the car down. Then I went to a 7/8 piston master cylinder in it and now I can lock up the brakes if I want to. Stops on a dime now.You can run power brake on the mustang with a 460. You just have to get the smaller round power brake booster so the valve cover doe's not hit it. I ran a 305 or 310Crower solid lifter cam later on and it still had plenty of vacuum to run the brakes.
This was back in 1986 when I built the car. Get your old Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding, and Fabulous Mustang and exotic FordMags out and look it up. It was in all of them in 1989-91.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 AM
kgray

Well i'm happy for you that your car was in the magazine, alot of mine have been too! Anyways It's obvious you took some things to heart andread into it to farand that was not the route i was going! So allow me to clear it up. You mentioned him using the svo 4cyl. that defeats the whole point of the budget he has. A budget big block will run better than abudget 4cyl.John Huber's 4cyl runs 9's but it's stroked, alum head, and 30+ psi of boost and alot of money.I know all the specs on the 385's and yes you are right. What i was saying is that the benefit of the 460. The engineers at ford actually considered the 460 a stroked 429. Yes in response to the hp numbers those were theRATED numbers but keep in mind that back then, those numbers were heavily padded because of NHRA rulings.When i said 475 hp that waswhat was estimatedhp then. No one knew exactly Even if the hp for the particular engine he is using was 365 or 415 or any other hp,it's a given thata cam,intake,carb is going to be used so he willmorethan likely exceed the 475 mark. If i'm wrong about the mastercyl. issue then i'm wrong no problem. But whatever mastercyl. that i got from Advance for a manual brake mustang works great. As far as the rearend issue goes he has to do this on a budget! yes you can cut a 9" down but he may not have the resources or the money, and help to do alot of these things. thats why i mentioned using the 8.8 with the 15x10 wheelswith thecorrect backspacing and the 26 tire. If he uses a 28x10.5 with the stock 8.8 he will have to massage the wheel wells a bit. And to end this! Everything you have said is True but he is on a budget. He may not have the resources and experience and even someone willing to help him 1 on 1.Thats the whole point of this forum, facts, Q&A and support. Talk to you soon.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

Look at this site and then tell me you have to spend alot of money to get into the 12's if you run a 2.3 on a buget? Look how many miles are on the motor he started with.

http://www.stinger-performance.com/bolton.html

You will send alot more on a 460 to run 12's then he did and hisis a daily driver on pump gas.
With a 460 you will have to buy the headers and they are not cheap! Before I put a 460 in mine I ran a 2.3 w/o a turbo. All it had was a cam, dual port two barrel intake anda stock two barrel carb off of a 390 ford p/u. And when I street raced it, if you had a chevy or ford with a stock V8 in it. I would beat you everytime. Now if you put a intake and headers on yourV8 I would beat you. But just barely. Now if you put a cam in it also then I would be in trouble, But not all the time. Now remember this was back in 1985 and I did not have a clue about turbo's then. Or I would have ran one instead of putting a 460 into my car. And yes I was on a very tight budget back then.
If I was to run a Mustang again and was on a budget. I would pick a 2.3 turbo over the 460 everytime and I would go faster with the 2.3 turbo for alot less money then with the 460.
But that is just my opinion. And I yeshave been there and done that.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

Here are a bunch of proven combinations for a 2.3 turbo ford engines to go fast!!!!

http://www.turboford.net/ubb/ultimat...c;f=3;t=017352

Quick Reply: fox body engine swap-2.3 to 460