Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cost of Paint Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Default Cost of Paint Jobs

Well I spent every day this week talking to paint shops about getting my car painted. I have never seen such a line of BS in my whole life. Everything from sorry we do not do whole car paint jobs up to I will paint your car for 10K since its a collector. I mean whata load of crap. I want a paint job I do not want to mortgage my house. Its not like this is my first rodeo. I was expecting between 1500 to 3000 at the very most and I never got on bid under 3000. I have not rust, very few dings and the original paint job so all they have to do is sand and paint. I am taking the car to the shop with all the rubber off, the chrome off and any parts not needed to paint off. What should be the going price and BTW I live in south texas right below Houston. I am seriously thinking of taking it across the border to mexico and let one of the real painting artist over there do the job. Take my own paints and pay for the labor.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cost of Paint Jobs

This is how good the car looks now.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Well here it is. It took 2 tries. My other photos are there if you click on the camera.

[IMG]local://upfiles/77930/46C72CB2C70542B3A34592BC4141A457.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I got a couple of paint shop guys on another board pizzed @ me over this same thing its ridiculous how much they want to shoot a car not redo all the body work.
Iam going to paint mine myself did it for years and i agree 1500$ should get you a nice paint job paint and materials being good quality about 500$ then maybe 5 hrs labor if they take time and over kill it. So 3500$ should be a great paint job with some additional body work IMHO
Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

I too shopped around and everyone wants top dollar for their work, I even stopped in at a local paint shop that brings out some very nice work.him because i told him my budge I tried to get some info on doing it myself from t wont allow him to work on it. I was told i cant hang a rear quarter panel as a beginner its hard (pay the guy 1,000 to weld it on) i hung the rear quarter myself didnt turn out bad either. I even asked the guy about painting my car he gave me wrong steps to foul my work up on purpose because he didnt want me doing it myself. Bottom line is if ya want a decent paint job you may want to primer and block and body putty the car and get it straight then pay someone to lay on the paint.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM
289FB
2nd Gear Member

Ed here in CAan "inexpensive" paint job is around 6K+ and in some cases you have to live the car for several months so appearently is the same everywhere.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

My job prevents me from doing that. My car is a daily driver and I really do drive it every day. I keep it covered when not in the garage but since the paint is so thin I cannot polish it I can only spray wax it. I do not dare use elbow grease on it. But the point is there is less then 1 days worth of body work and that is just small dings and nothing more. Add to that the upholster wants $400 to change out the top and I am supplying the top. That is one days work for these guys and you can bet that in between glueing and applying they will be working on several other projects. Its no wonder we all wind up doing most of our own work.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

289 and my BIL owns his own paint shop and hit BIL discount was 4K. I laughed my **** off and decided the next time he needs a favor with electronics or computers I am going to charge his ****.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

You pay for what you get when it comes to paint. If your looking to pay between 1500-3000k unfortunately that going to be the price of an earl's or a one day paint and body job and you wont be happy because its a production job, not custom. If you want it to look good and done right expect to AT LEAST pay 4800-7500 forpaint ONLYand have your can tied up for 4-6 months.

I live in California and though I could get away with a semi custom job for 3k, it looked like crap! Sure from 10ft it looked awsome, but when you got down to it, man it looked half ***.All in all I ended up taking my car to a custom shop and had it done right for 10k, but even at that, there were still flaws.

What ever you choose remember NOTHING IS EVER PERFECT, ESPECIALLY PAINT JOBS!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fordication

289 and my BIL owns his own paint shop and hit BIL discount was 4K. I laughed my **** off and decided the next time he needs a favor with electronics or computers I am going to charge his ****.
4k and you BIL is going to do it! Thats a GREAT THING AND PRICE! Its family so automatically someone is going to take more pride in the job. I say go for it!!

Quick Reply: Cost of Paint Jobs