V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

crank pulley noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
skom2

Default crank pulley noise

Hello guys, i'm new here. I have a 3.8 auto 2002. Like 5 days ago start to make a noise by the pulleys, i change the belt and check all the pulleys and the only one that sound different was the alternator one so i changed that too. the thing is the noise was still there, sound like a little chicken by that area. I took off the belt and start the engine and i realize that the noise was from the crank pulley. Sometimes the noise is loud, sometime no and sometime is not even there.
Does anyone have an idea what it could be?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

Default RE: crank pulley noise

balancer could be bad
Old 01-15-2008, 06:49 AM
skom2

Thanks. Do you thinkis expensive to fix that?
I notice also that the noise is louder when the car is cold after a few mins that the car warms up it goes away or you can barely hear it.
I was reading the other day that some guys has a similar noise and went away after a few days, i hope thats my case.
P.S. the car runs great, it's only the noise bothers me.
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 03sixbanger

balancer could be bad
How so?

Balancer is attached to the crank. There are no bearings on the balancer since it's bolted directly to the crank.

Check to make sure the balancer is TIGHT on there. If the balancer is loose it could cause your front main bearing to wear abnormally. Engine shake really bad at idle or when yuou blip the throttle? Witht he engine running does the Balancer run straight or wobbly?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
skom2

looks like the engine runs straigh. Its really strange because looks like is making less noise every day.
I hoe it goes away
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Start the engine and let it idle. Open the hood and look down where the crank is. See if the crank pulley wobbles. You shouldbe able to tell if it's turning balanced or not usually. You can also rev the engine via the throttle cable and check at higher rpms or have someone rev it up for you while your checking. Possibly loose or harmonic balancer bolts loose, tough to say. I would have to agree, probably not the balancer as far as needing replacement. Enjoy!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 PM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

ORIGINAL: Derf00

balancer could be bad
How so?

Balancer is attached to the crank. There are no bearings on the balancer since it's bolted directly to the crank.

Check to make sure the balancer is TIGHT on there. If the balancer is loose it could cause your front main bearing to wear abnormally. Engine shake really bad at idle or when yuou blip the throttle? Witht he engine running does the Balancer run straight or wobbly?
just a thought....ive seen it happen on a 5.0 once and it made noises
Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
skom2

everytime that i tke to thr mechanic does'nt mae the noise.
I'm off tomorrow so im going to take it again.
the balancer looks straigh, idk what it could be then.
It's ok to drive with that squeez sound? can i break something in the engine?
Thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Derf00

balancer could be bad
How so?

just a thought....ive seen it happen on a 5.0 once and it made noises
I guess I should have clarified my answer. The Balancer on the V6 stang 99-04 is a solid piece. It doesn't have the inserts that can wear and thus cause wobble and all sorts of weird noises even though the balancer itself is tight. On cars like that(like the 5.0 fox bodies) I would have mentioned to look at the crank pulley. Just not on ours.

To the OP, you could have a timing chain guide that is work out. The guides are usually metal overmolded with plastic for sound deadening. If the plastic has worn through and you now have chain to metal, that would cause noise... you may need to remove the timing cover to get a definite answer.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 PM
skom2

do u think is dangeous to dive it like that in the meantime?

Quick Reply: crank pulley noise