Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel gauge defect?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

Default fuel gauge defect?

10 minutes ago I went to a gas station to get gas because my tank was almost empty. the pump stopped at 14.6 gallons and I drove away. Back in my car I checked the fuel gauge and it said half full?! I turned off the car and restarted but still the same.
How can that be? Is my fuel gauge defect or did I really get just a half tank? But why did the pump stop at 14.6 gallons then, that seems to be right?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel gauge defect?

i don't know, i have a similar story.

i had 5 miles left on the fuel gauge to empty. so i stopped by the gas station to fill it up and the pump stopped at 12.9. correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the mustang gt had a 16 gallon tank. i'm losing 3.1 gallons here!! well in any case it's not that big of a deal.

another weird thing is, the first week i had my car on a full tank it read 270miles to e. several fill ups later i'm seeing 205-230. i was just wondering how i would go about in fixing this little problem.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r3velation

i don't know, i have a similar story.

i had 5 miles left on the fuel gauge to empty. so i stopped by the gas station to fill it up and the pump stopped at 12.9. correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the mustang gt had a 16 gallon tank. i'm losing 3.1 gallons here!! well in any case it's not that big of a deal.

another weird thing is, the first week i had my car on a full tank it read 270miles to e. several fill ups later i'm seeing 205-230. i was just wondering how i would go about in fixing this little problem.
Thats all normal. There is about 2 gallons left in the tank at that time, all depending on your mpg really tho. Plus are you topping it up to the top?

SirSilents problem sounds like a sending unit in the tank issue, or a faulty gas pump!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

i pump it until it stops, then i attempt to squeeze as much into it after the initial stop. is that bad?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

They say for the enviroment it is, but not the stang.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 AM
AllGT
1st Gear Member

I just came on here to see if anyone else had the same problem. It sounds like it might be more common than I thought. It has happened to me2 times in the last 6 fill ups. The gauge shows 1/2 a tank after a fill up. 4 out of 6 times the gauge is correct and Ithe pump says Iput 14-15 gallons in there.The other 2 times it says like 12-13 gallons then shows 1/2 tank.

How many of us on here have had this problem? Im going to the dealer to have new mods put on,I will have them check on this problem and report back

If its the environment, Im in Los Angeles where is everyone else?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys,

I have posted on this before to see if anyone else had the same problem, but I recently had my issue resolved.

See, I would fill up, and the tank would only read half full, and as I would start driving it would slowlllllyyy climb back up until it was right. Well, I would start to get these errors: midway through driving the fuel needle would drop down to E and I would get an error "DTE FLI ERR FUEL LEVEL LOW." I took it to the dealership and they checked the code, sure enough there is a service routine in accordance to that error. They had to get a new fuel card/sensor and gauge and drop the tank to fix everything. Thank goodness I went to an awesome dealership (if that's possible), but they were excellent on service and got it all fixed up, under warranty too.

So, see if you get this error. It seems like some fuel cards are just defective.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 AM
NachoStang

My problem also was the sending unit for the same problem. Dealer replaced it. Also there is an engineering defect in the fuel filler tube that will not allow the tank to be filled unless the pump is set on just a trickle. I now have a copy of the TSB that covers the slow fuel fill-up. Ford's cure for the problem? Are ya ready? Drum roll, please! "Try another pump". You'd think after four Mustangs in a row I would not be surprised.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:49 AM
bhaz413
1st Gear Member

They had to replace the sending unit and the whole guage cluster on mine. Expect my fuel guage was pointing down
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Colud be your refueling procedure.
The gas guage has 4 modes of operation each
with its own set of rules as to what to display on the guage.

Key On refueling
Key Off refueling
AntiSlosh mode
And one other I cant remember just now.

Its in the Ford Workshop manual.
It takes up to 50 minutes to
exit Key On refueling mode to display
the correct amount of gas after refueling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel gauge defect?