Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you need to retune after change of exhaust system?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default Do you need to retune after change of exhaust system?

Pretty straightforward question from a newbie... Do you need to retune ECU after you change exhaust setup? I'm probably gonna go from stock exhaust to Flowmaster axle-back American Thunder series. I'm not adding CAI or anything, just swapping out stock exhaust for aftermarket. All I'm looking for is a little less restrictive exhaust system, a throaty sound, and a small bump in hp. Someone told me about unhooking the battery afterwardsto reset computer (whatever that means), but do I need to do any other work on electronics or oxygen sensor to get full benefit of new system?

And one more question... Is it stupid to just switch out old exhaust for Flowmastereven if I'm not upgarding to CAI? Like I said, I'm not looking for huge boost in hp, just less restrictive exhaust and better sound. Thanks...
Old 01-23-2008, 12:25 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do you need to retune after change of exhaust system?

Welcome to MF! When I converted to dual, I did not bother disconnecting battery. As far as I know, you don't really have to.

And you don't need to upgrade your CAI before doing the exhaust.
[/align]
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Are you doing a dual exhaust setup or single?
Think about it, I know you are going to crave for the "dual look" and sound later on.
[/align]
Old 01-23-2008, 01:09 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I don't know if you need to, but general opinion seems to be that you should unhook the battery (even just during the time you're switching over the exhaust or whatever) to allow the computer to reset.

The different muffler will have a different airflow than the stock muffler, so this will ensure the computer re-adjusts to the new muffler and it's properties and you won't have any problems with engine behavior or gas mileage or anything.

Might not really be necessary, but since you'll be busy anyway, it doesn't hurt to unhook the batter just incase it does matter.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 AM
noober
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OIIIIO

Think about it, I know you are going to crave for the "dual look" and sound later on.
[/align]
Just... trust us. Get some GT takeoffs at the very least and cut that bumper. You'll love yourself the day you do it and continue to love yourself every time you get in the car.

In fact, I don't even use the radio anymore and I start my car with my door OPEN.

That's how good it is.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

No you wont and the ECU automatically adj to such a small change in the backpressure. Really changing the mufflers on these cars is more for sound than actual gains to the rear wheels........ Advertising hype is just that...hype...IMO.....J

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

Pretty straightforward question from a newbie... Do you need to retune ECU after you change exhaust setup? I'm probably gonna go from stock exhaust to Flowmaster axle-back American Thunder series. I'm not adding CAI or anything, just swapping out stock exhaust for aftermarket. All I'm looking for is a little less restrictive exhaust system, a throaty sound, and a small bump in hp. Someone told me about unhooking the battery afterwardsto reset computer (whatever that means), but do I need to do any other work on electronics or oxygen sensor to get full benefit of new system?

And one more question... Is it stupid to just switch out old exhaust for Flowmastereven if I'm not upgarding to CAI? Like I said, I'm not looking for huge boost in hp, just less restrictive exhaust and better sound. Thanks...
Sorry should have read the rest...and no you are not stupid for just changing the mufflers and not getting the CAI w/tune.....its personal preference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Flowmasters = Fun
Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

No tune formy magnaflows.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

No you wont and the ECU automatically adj to such a small change in the backpressure. Really changing the mufflers on these cars is more for sound than actual gains to the rear wheels........ Advertising hype is just that...hype...IMO.....J

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

Sorry should have read the rest...and no you are not stupid for just changing the mufflers and not getting the CAI w/tune.....its personal preference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7-10 WHP increase and a little more torque to boot. VMP web site shows almost 10WHP increase just from axle back replacement and they dyno a ton of stangs in various combinations.

Stock v6 exhaust is very restrictive at the muffler. On Ebay you can find GT takeoffs real cheap. Slap one of those on while you are being indecisive. I think the job can be done in about 30 minutes (single side) because unless you've lowered your car, and don't have a huge gut, you can slide under both sides of the car without jacking and get to the axle backs, or in the sixer case, one side

Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OIIIIO

[/align]
To be honest, I was thinking about just sticking with the single exhaust. But, with all this talk about switching to duals, I'm certainly tempted. Decisions, decisions...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you need to retune after change of exhaust system?