Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Mustang Radio Patch Panel = A Real Pain!!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
justaguy65

Default 1965 Mustang Radio Patch Panel = A Real Pain!!

Does anybody have one of these in their dash? I am trying to figure out how to install mine. It just doesn't seem to fit real snug and gets in the way of the glove box door. Has anyone found a solution to installing one? Does it have to be welded or simply bolted on. I wouldn't even know who to get to weld it in if I were to go that route.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 1965 Mustang Radio Patch Panel = A Real Pain!!

Pretty sure that is a weld in patch. You will have to do some cutting to get the patch and dash the same size, then butt weld it in. Kinda like installing a quarter panel, but much easier.

You might be able to flange it and then use some of the panel adhesives out there.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Yep. That's a weld in patch for a butchered dash. The other option would be to trim the panel and bond it on with panel bonding adhesive. You would still have to fill and paint though. Personally, I'd weld, or find someone who can.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
abarli65

I need to do the same thing with my dash. I have the new piece and am waiting till I get through with my floors, trunk, and quarters to perfect my mig skills. It seems pretty straight forward... cut out the old... weld in the new. I would love to see how the finished product looks. I am not sure if it is possible to replace well enough be be perfect. The bottom edge seems easy enough as that is a fairly flat surface to grind, but I wonder about under the glove box door. Yes it is hidden, but I don't want a constant reminder whenever I need my 'gloves'.

Anyone have any before/after pictures of their handy work?

Last edited by abarli65; 02-17-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: forgot title
Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you could always panel bond it in, then smooth the edges with filler
Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

For those of us that are "Welding Challenged" there is the plastic cover piece. Looks ok from outside the car. If I could weld I would go with that but since I can't I didn't.
Attached Thumbnails  1965 Mustang Radio Patch Panel = A Real Pain!!-patty-and-emily-003.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
92ponyranger

Originally Posted by abarli65
Anyone have any before/after pictures of their handy work?
I don't have any before pics, but I can get pics of the after for sure. I found the best solution is to trim the patch down to about 8 inches wide and the height is ok. That way you don't mess with the area behind the glove box door. Simple "spot" welds are best to avoid overheating the dash and warping the **** out of it. It is very time consuming this way but it works best. Minor bondo will be required also. Let me post pics of mine and you can be the judge for yourself.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I did one on a previous Mustang probably 15 years ago. IIRC, mine fit pretty well over the existing dash. Per the shop's recommendation, I bonded it using JB weld and held it snugly in place with pop rivets in spots hidden by the dash pad. I then bondo'd and sanded the seams, primed and painted.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 AM
92ponyranger

I will try to get close up pics later today, but for now here is a pic and you can see that it looks stock from this distance. I would highly recommend doing it this way and not bonding it over the dash. Just trim the patch until its large enough to repair the damage. DO NOT use the full length patch if not needed.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
92ponyranger

Sorry for the late pics, but here they are.

New glove box forthe CD player..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1965 Mustang Radio Patch Panel = A Real Pain!!