4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

P0307 Cylinder misfire code

Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 PM
goldendd

Default P0307 Cylinder misfire code

P0307 Cylinder Misfire...Now that I know what it is, what is it? Misfire? Is it an injector, spark problem, how do you diagnose further? Just got a 2000 GT Convertible 4.6L 5 Speed today and the check engine light came on.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: P0307 Cylinder misfire code

welcome to the forums and congrats on the car, sorry about the CEL. it could be a matter of things, run some injector cleaner through the system, replace the fuel filter if it hasnt been replaced recently, and check the spark plugs.

Edit: are you asking what may cause a missfire or what is a missfire?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 PM
goldendd

Thank you. Yes I know what a misfire is but I want to know what is causing it. My code reader just says misfire in #7 cylinder. I thought about putting some injector cleaner but the misfire feels electrical.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goldendd

Thank you. Yes I know what a misfire is but I want to know what is causing it. My code reader just says misfire in #7 cylinder. I thought about putting some injector cleaner but the misfire feels electrical.
could be a bad spark plug then. im not sure how it would feel "electrical" but im trying to keep an open mind and understand what you are saying.

is it constant though can you feel the missfire?

how does the car respond to WOT runs or throttle blips?

start off with some injector cleaner and a fuel filter, those are two things that should be done anyhow.
if the problem doesnt change i would check the plugs,coils, and boots.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

if the misfire gets worsewhen you put your foot down at low revs then it's more than likely spark-related. replace the #7 plug then see if it still misses, if it does, your COP is probably done..... quite common on these cars
Old 02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
baino
4th Gear Member

Had the same problem. I went ahead and swapped all the plugs and COP's. Cleared it up and is an easy do it yourself job, but as always a lil costly.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:59 PM
goldendd

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions. I pulled all the injector wires off one by one until there was no change in the idle. I replaced that spark plug and it corrected the problem. The plug I pulled out was in very bad shape which makes me think the previous owner had somthing against tune-ups. The car runs much better now and I am planning a complete tune-up in the very near future.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goldendd

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions. I pulled all the injector wires off one by one until there was no change in the idle. I replaced that spark plug and it corrected the problem. The plug I pulled out was in very bad shape which makes me think the previous owner had somthing against tune-ups. The car runs much better now and I am planning a complete tune-up in the very near future.
somethin you should do with any used car you buy, even if from a dealership.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
naza
2nd Gear Member

hey guys im going to hijack this thread jaja...

i just had the same problem today!! took it to autozone to get the code and i was po3o6...

the weird thing is that i just did a tune up to the car about 2 months ago...

my question is... can it still be a bad plug or a bad cop/??

thanks for the help guys!

oh yeah it also threw the o2 sensor code but that has been on there since i put my x-pipe on..

Last edited by naza; 12-14-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

OP - Make sure you torque down the plugs correctly. Do yourself a favor and do a search on spark plug blowout on here...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0307 Cylinder misfire code