Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Speaker setup...clueless

Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Default Speaker setup...clueless

Ok, a year or so ago. I bought a set of speakers, a deck, and an amp for my old miata, these were not originally purchased for my mustang. I am thinking now that my salesman was an idiot. Im looking at amps and noticing they all say mono and subwoofer...The guy said my 300 watt component Alpine Type R's were too much for the Alpine 9855 Deck to handle. So I ended up getting a 300 watt amp that handled the speakers... Now I want to put that setup in my stang, and I realized I have to put in a set of 6.5's and 3.5's...I want some higher powered ones...I was doing the math of putting some Alpine 6.5's which are 250 watts and some Infinity Kappa 32.7 CF 3.5's, which are 105 watts. Thats an additional 355 watts...Does that mean I haveto upgrade to an amp that handles 655 watts? Or add another amp? Thats a lot just for a system with no sub... sooo... can someone explain all this mumbo jumbo to me?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker setup...clueless

Those are max power ratings.

I have seen 3 1/2" Pyramid speaker enclosure things with a 1" tweeter claiming they could take 600 watts.

Average component your looking at 75-125 watts rms per side.
Coaxials 30-75 watts is plenty.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

I still dont know what that means. Can I run those speakers all off of that one amp? Maybe I can run some off of the built in amp off the deck? Or are you telling me that I should buy speakers that put out less power...or rms...whatever.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 AM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Speakers dont put out power.

I wouldn't suggest ever running any speakers off a deck, unless their factory speakers. You also dont want to run any speakers aside from a subwoofer off of a monoblock amplifier, you want a Class A/B. If a sales person sold you all mono amps for a full setup, go back they and drop kick him in the chest.

If you want to run a front and rear stage, you'll want a 4 channel amplifer, and an additional amplifier for your subwoofer(s), which could be a mono or a A/B amp. Or a 5 channel amplifier to run everything, if thats what you really want. Saves space and alot of times money, but you can't really get crazy or do much else rather than have an average all around system. They are also usually pretty big. I would stick with doing separate ones so you can always move them to another car, or do different projects with them rather than just always having one amp. But thats just me.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

I concur.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, but one more question. Ok, how big of a 4 channel amp do I need to handle the speakers Im talking about putting in? I dont want a sub, its a convertible, barely any room as it is, and I like having a back seat. Can someone check for me? Please? I normally dont ask stupid newbie questions like this...but I have no freaking clue... Lol. Im going to have to find a fsm on how to do this once I get the speakers.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

You can get some subs in there that will get it done if you want, but you might have to switch to something that works well in a small sealed enclosure. I'm not sure on the ALpine's.

As far as an amp, what's the budget for the amp?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

actually there is no reason you should need an amp for the dash 3.5"s as small as they are. I would put a bass blocker on them and be done with them.

What are you wanting out of the stereo? What do you listen to and how long do you think you will keep it? Everyone that asks about stuff on here gets pointed into a competition hopefull system with 2-3 amps and no rear speakers. If you just want to get some better sound you can do so without going overboard and getting over your head(you sound a little new to this?). We see people jump on something that they think is a good idea when they think they know what they are doing and realize later that it was not what we needed?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Well I already have half of the stuff needed. Its all Alpine. I want some hard hitting quality sound, better than my old shaker 500 in my 06 gt I had. I dont want subs. I dont need them. I would rather have trunk space. An amp is already going to take up space. I found out my alpine amp has these specs
[ul][*]50 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms[*]70 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms[*]140 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms[*]stereo or bridged mono output[/ul]its a 1/2 channel...so does this mean it would only work for 2 speakers? I also dont understand how all this works [:@] what do you mean I dont need an amp for the 3.5's...can I put them on the decks amp...I dont need a fancy amp, I just need to know what rating of amp I need, how many watts. Heres a rundown of the speakers Im going to use. 1 set of Alpine type r 5X7's, 1 set of Alpine type r 6.5's, and either the tweeters off of my component Alpines... or those Infinity Kappa 32.7 CF 3.5's. So...what do I need to be looking at, the rms, the peak...watts... how do I figure out what kind of amps rms i need. Do I add them all up...or what. per speaker, or per set. GAH!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

D E E P BREATH.......a n d ...... here we go....

your amplifier is a two-channel amplifier, meaning it will power ONE set of speakers, like the front left and right or the rear left and right.

bridgable means that you can combine the channels into one channel and power something like a subwoofer OR if you had a four channel amplifier you could run a set of speakers by combining two of the four channels into one channel and the remaining two channels into one other channel or you could take a four channel and combine two of the channels into one for a subwoofer and the other two for a set of speakers.

If you were to use this amplifier, it would be for a pair of speakers. It would constantly feed each speaker 50 watts if wired at 4 ohm. If you were to bridge them you would have a one channel amplifier sending 140 watts. I personally would take that amp back and get something else. you can get more power for the same amount if not less than what you paid for that amp(if bought retail). I'm sure those Alpines can handle more than 50 watts.

Lets take care of your equipment issues first and go from there. do you have 4 or 6 speakers in the car? Are your 6.5's components/coaxials or just a woofer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker setup...clueless