Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB for hood corrosion problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default TSB for hood corrosion problem?

Does anyone know where I can see/print the TSB for the aluminum hood corrosion problem mentioned in this post?

https://mustangforums.com/m_3728193/tm.htm

I was waxing my car today (2006 Silver) and noticed this bubbling ( about 1/4 inch X 1/4 inch) on the front lower lip of my hood.

The post says there is a Ford TSB for this but I can't find it in the TSB section of the forum. I would like to have the TSB before I go to the dealer just in case.

Also, does this tend to spread?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TSB for hood corrosion problem?

FORD:[/align]
2000-2007 Crown Victoria, Taurus
2005-2006 Ford GT
2005-2007 Mustang
2000-2003 Ranger
2000-2007 Expedition
2002-2007 Explorer
2004-2007 F-150
2007 Explorer Sport Trac

LINCOLN:[/align]
2000-2006 Lincoln LS
2000-2007 Town Car, Navigator

MERCURY:[/align]
2000-2007 Grand Marquis, Sable

This article supersedes TSB 04-25-1 to update the vehicle model years.
ISSUE:[/u]
Some vehicles may exhibit a bubbling or blistering under the paint on aluminum body parts. This is due to iron contamination of the aluminum panel.
ACTION:[/u]
This TSB provides service tips and procedures, outlining methods to properly prepare and protect aluminum body parts from cross contamination.
BACKGROUND

Ford's Scientific Research Laboratory has performed a number of tests on vehicle body parts returned for corrosion related concerns. Testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prior to it being painted.
SERVICE TIPS AND PROCEDURE

When repairing a vehicle for corrosion or collision damage, it is essential that extreme care be taken to cover and protect all aluminum parts to prevent cross metal contamination. Areas in a shop where metal work is performed should be sectioned off, using at the very least curtain walls, to prevent metal dust migration. Cross contamination can also occur through the use of metal working tools (hammers, dolly's, picks, grinding wheels, etc.). Tools used for aluminum repairs should be kept separate, and not used to repair other metals. Wire brushes used on aluminum should be made of stainless steel.

NOTE:
THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD ONLY BE USED ON NON-PERFORATED METAL. REVIEW WARRANTY AND POLICY MANUAL FOR VEHICLE WITH PERFORATED METAL.

NOTE:
READ THIS PROCEDURE COMPLETELY BEFORE PERFORMING ANY SERVICE.
[ol][*]Corrosion should be removed by blasting. Use an aggressive blasting material, such as acrylic (salt grain size).[*]Use a DA sander with 180 grit paper backed abrasive. Only sand and featheredge the damaged area.[*]Mix and apply Ford approved epoxy primer, per the manufacturer's label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C), or use an infra-red lamp for curing.[*]If necessary, mix and apply two-part polyester filler to a slight over crown. Allow polyester filler to cure 20-30 minutes, or mix and apply spray polyester filler two-three (2-3) coats as necessary. Allow to cure per manufacturer's label instructions.[*]Hand-sand the repair area with 80 grit sand paper to remove excess filler.[*]Finish-sand the repair area with 400 grit sand paper.[*]Mix and apply Ford approved primer/surfacer per manufacturer's label instructions. Bake at 140° F (60° C) or use infra-red lamp for curing.[*]Sand the primer/surfacer with 400-600 grit to level the surface.[*]The next two steps are wet-on-wet. Mix and apply to hiding Ford recommended basecoat material per manufacturer's label instructions. Allow to flash.[*]Mix and apply two (2) coats (2 mils minimum) of Ford approved clearcoat per manufacturer's label instructions. Allow flash time. Finish bake at 140° F (60° C). [/ol]

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only

it's not like rust, it doesn,t spread.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

06-25-15 in the newer TSB that Bill mentioned above.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks!!!

Is there anywhere I can go to see the actual TSB (as posted on this forum)?

This is the problem!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogan01

Thanks!!!

Is there anywhere I can go to see the actual TSB (as posted on this forum)?

This is the problem!
Yes. Go here:

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ns-060923.html

Old 02-01-2008, 06:23 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I thank you sir! Greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

Good luck, but you shouldnt have any problem...

Must be really common, I went for a bubble on the frame of the car above the driver side door, guy came out looked at it for about 10 seconds and made an appointment with a body shop. easy as pie.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

how come is this? i have an 05, what exactly should i be lookin for? anyone have pictures?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

I went to the dealer to have them fix this and they told me it was only covered if my car was under 36,000 miles. I mentioned the TSB and my 5 year corrosion warranty, and they told me they had to be able to stick a poker through the hood. True or false, because if it's false they are getting my car back, and I won't take no for an answer.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

http://www.MustangForums.com/m_3912336/tm.htm

its a crappy pic of mine but you'll know when u get it...

Quick Reply: TSB for hood corrosion problem?