V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

coolant temp sensor location

Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
RED2000
2nd Gear Member

Default coolant temp sensor location

Where is the sensor located on the 99-00's and the 01-04's? Thereare no plugs on my 2002 wiring harness that plug into the coolant temp sensor on my 2002 engine. The coolant temp guage does not work and the car will not start if it is hot as a result. So does anybody know where the coolant temperature sensor plug is on the 2002 harness and the 2002 engine?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: coolant temp sensor location

I know on the 99/00 engine the temp sending unit is on the drivers side of the engine at the front of the lower intake manifold. Its a grey/white connector for that year. 99/00 (I think 01-04 too) used only 1 sensor that fed back to the ECM and controlled fan opperation, changed strategy based on coolant temperature and routed the temp to the guage cluster.

94-98 used two separate sensors.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I had a really hard time finding any information about it and the fact my 96' had 2 provisions for it and the 99+ has one. VMP didnt even know 100% but he tried to help me the best he could. Later he found some information about the 99+ having a single sensor.

Where are you now, what have you done since your last thread?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 AM
RED2000
2nd Gear Member

Yea, we got my engine running. This is the last problem i have, the 2002 harness does not have a temp sensor plug and therefore throws a code. It will not start afterthe enginegets hot, because the sensor is not plugged in and reads the engine as cold, so it gives the engine the wrong fuel/air mix. The fan is also on all the time as a result.I have only been able to find one temp sensor on the back of the driver side head, but there is no plug on the harness to except this. Its nice to get some good tech info around here.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-17-2008, 02:10 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Hmm, if you have a camera take some pictures of where the temp sending unit should be and then take a picture of what other wires you have left over on the harness, post them here or send them directly to my e-mail CrainRacing@hotmail.com

Something doesnt seem quite right.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
dickwitham
1st Gear Member

Well Andy (RED2000) and I took the car out for a drive today (couple miles) and the car ran great. The power-steering pump quieted down and the car felt good. When we brought it back to the house we shut it off and then tried to start it (previous times it wouldn't start after shutting it off) again...IT STARTED!?!...we shut it off and started it several times and it ran great...WHAT THE HELL!?!...here are the photos of the coolant temp. sensor (that Andy wanted me to upload)

Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
RED2000
2nd Gear Member

The third photo shows where the sensor is located on the 2002 engine. (lower left hand corner in the back of the head) Yet, there is no plug on the harness that attaches to it.The last photo is a unknown plug on the drivers side behind the water pump. I dont know what this sensor is and was wondering if anyone knew what the function is? The car shuts off and then is able to start again, but i am unsure that it will always cooperate with me tho. Also does anyone know if the coolant temp sensor activates the fan or regulates fuel mixture on startup? (not sure if my previous assumption was correct, because it now starts)I dont want the fan to always be blowing at full blast.Since my car starts now, i am wondering how this stuff works. Could anyone check that has a 01-04 engine if the plug in the back of the head is plugged in? This is really strange because thereare no left over plugs on the wiring harness. Was the sensor on the 01-04 not plugged in throught the wiring harness? I would appreciate any help from the veteran members.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
mooses
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RED2000

The third photo shows where the sensor is located on the 2002 engine. (lower left hand corner in the back of the head) Yet, there is no plug on the harness that attaches to it.The last photo is a unknown plug on the drivers side behind the water pump. I dont know what this sensor is and was wondering if anyone knew what the function is? The car shuts off and then is able to start again, but i am unsure that it will always cooperate with me tho. Also does anyone know if the coolant temp sensor activates the fan or regulates fuel mixture on startup? (not sure if my previous assumption was correct, because it now starts)I dont want the fan to always be blowing at full blast.Since my car starts now, i am wondering how this stuff works. Could anyone check that has a 01-04 engine if the plug in the back of the head is plugged in? This is really strange because thereare no left over plugs on the wiring harness. Was the sensor on the 01-04 not plugged in throught the wiring harness? I would appreciate any help from the veteran members.
Thanks
I have an '02, and there is ablack plug on the back of the driver side head. The transmission harness hasa WHITEplug for it. I believe mid '01 and up have this plug.

edit: the plug on the head is black, and the plug on the harness is white. I edited my original post because I mistakenly said the plug on the head was white, which it is not.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
dickwitham
1st Gear Member

so the something is actually plugged in to the white plug from the tranny harness?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
mooses
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dickwitham

so the something is actually plugged in to the white plug from the tranny harness?
yes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coolant temp sensor location