Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:35 PM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

Default Symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

What would be the symptoms of a bad fuel pump?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:41 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

No gas to carb..........they will just fail.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

I am guessing you are trying to address the earlier problems you have been having with your car? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Also, it could be too much fuel caused by a bad needle and seat or floats in the carb. I almost bought that car......glad I didn't.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM
adr3naline
1st Gear Member

Yeah, still trying to figure it out... I haven't had the problem happen again. I've tried to make it happen again in front of my house, but it seems it only wants to ruin my life when I'm far away from home.

When I start it up in the morning, it struggles to keep running for the first few minutes. I'm sure some people on this forum will just tell me to deal with it, since its a 40 year old car...

I took of my fuel filter to check it out... a bunch of brown/red crap came out (on the input end), and it was clean on the output... I'm hoping my tank isn't rusty, it's solid on the outside - top and bottom. I'll replace my filter tonight.

How's yours running?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Several actually:
They leak from the diaphram externally and internally (not good-it goes into the crankcase)
They don't produce enough volume.
They don't produce enough pressure.
Rarely will they produce too much pressure.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ririe44

Yeah, still trying to figure it out... I haven't had the problem happen again. I've tried to make it happen again in front of my house, but it seems it only wants to ruin my life when I'm far away from home.

When I start it up in the morning, it struggles to keep running for the first few minutes. I'm sure some people on this forum will just tell me to deal with it, since its a 40 year old car...

I took of my fuel filter to check it out... a bunch of brown/red crap came out (on the input end), and it was clean on the output... I'm hoping my tank isn't rusty, it's solid on the outside - top and bottom. I'll replace my filter tonight.

How's yours running?

I have had the same problem. Is your choke adjusted? What about your air/fuel mixture? Points gap set correctly?

Just a few things to think about that have been suggested to me or I have done to help the problem.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ririe44

How's yours running?
Had probs with mine and rusty tank...did your fuel filter look like this? If so, might be rust getting into the carb and all those little inlet holes causing probs...

[IMG]local://upfiles/19071/2F42055E725E4C688433C09FE0941A80.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

this is kinda related, but sorry for slight change of subject. anyone know of a good rebuid kit for these kind of fuel pumps?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:42 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Don't rebuild them you just replace them. they are cheap.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Gun Jam

My fuel pump stared to lose volume when it was going bad. It would produce 6psi no problem. At full power accelerations from 1st gear it would run great but pressure would be about 2psi before the shift into 2nd gear. as soon as you hit 2nd gear the fuel pressure would drop to 0 and about 3 seconds later the car would lose power and would produce only about 25% of its rated Hp. As long as you kept your foot into it would continue to run like crap. You would have to back off the gas for about 5 to 7 seconds before the system would recharge with fuel giving you about another 10 seconds worth of WOT before it would do the same crap again.

-Gun

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a bad fuel pump?