Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Adjusting Autolite 1100 after rebuild and install

Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 AM
BreakOut

Default Adjusting Autolite 1100 after rebuild and install

There's three adjustment screws that I can find. The one directly above, one below and angled on the same side, and then one underneath on the back. I just got the carb back on yesterday and the car runs but the idle in park is way too low. How should I start out?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
LPlum
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Adjusting Autolite 1100 after rebuild and install

Wow, if the photo is your rebuilt carb it looks great or brand new. I'm just going on memory now and it's not what it used to be. The three screws, two on left side of carb are idle screws. Fast and slow idle. One is the idle speed of engine while warming up, the other idle speed once the engine has warmed up. The other screw is the idle circuit air fuel mixture. I adjust this mixture, once car is warmed up,by ear so to speak. Turning the screw a little and see if the car idles smoother. The proper way is to use a vacuum gauge, and adjusting for the most vacuum. Back to idle once warmed up, if you have an automatic tranny the car should be in gear. So you will need a helper.Turn idle screw until the engine is at600 RPM's. The choke also has an adjustment by turning the big black cover on the side of the carb. Do a search for fordsix.com tons of info for these six cylinders. Good luck!
Lowell
Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

great looking carb
try with the "idle speed screw".
check diagram at: http://www.ponycarburetors.com/images/pdfs/1100.pdf
at the bottom of the diagram (not the one at very bottom, the one to itas left).
turn it in slowly and see if that helps it

Kalli

Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Here's an exploded view of your carb. The idle speed screw lower R/H(375956-5)is one of two screws that set your idle speed characteristics. The other is idle mixture screw (9541) in the middle of the shot next to the carb base. The rule of thumb is to turn it in until lightly seated then outward 1 1-2 to 2 turns. Start and warm up the car,then with the car running below 800 RPM or so adjust the idle mixture screw until you get the best idle speed (if it goes above 850 reset the speed screw) and highest vacum. Then reset you idle screw for 600-650 in drive if AT car.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
BreakOut

Thanks a bunch to everyone. Can't wait to get to this ASAP. Ok so I turn the idle speed screw basically all the way in and then out turn @ 2 rotations right? Then adjust 9541 until it's running smooth, correct? Now, that last thing, is that to adjust 354746-5? Now, is 375956-5 the idle in park or the idle in drive? Thanks for so much help. I am really looking forward to driving the stang this weekend. I am having withdrawals. No stang in 4 weeks now. Also, this is my first foray into old car mechanics being a 30 yo female!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

na ...

"idle speed screw" 375956-5
"idle mixture screw" 9541

start with idle speed screw.
when you turn the idle speed screw it will determine your idle rpm.
It basically does the same what your accellerator pedal does just a hellofalot finer
the idle speed screw should just barely touch the lever and when it does turn in for another 2 turns. so that it opens the throttleplate a tiny bit
thats the basic setting

the other one: "idle mixture screw" 9541
turn in fully until seated. careful. don't tighten just seat it.
then turn out again by about 2 full turns

when you have that you sould be able to start your engine.
when it's hot and the choke plate (the uppert butterfly) is fully open it should hopefully run normal.
if the idle is too low when warm (as in runs when you press the accellerator a bit but will start when you let accelerator go fully) then turn ion the "idle mixture screw" 9541 for another bit

hope that helps

see as well: https://mustangforums.com/m_4850846/tm.htm

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
LPlum
1st Gear Member

Hey BreakOut, Who or where did this carb rebuild in your photo?
Thanks, Lowell
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
BreakOut

Kalli, thanks-- you are a life saver and a time saver. One last question. What does the adjusting screw 354746-5 (or is it an "S") do? Should I be concerned with it.

Also, the carb above isn't mine-- just used it as a representation. Mine doesn't look that great but it still looks good.
That pic came from Pony Carb I think.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Its the Auto Trans dashpot adjust screw and it allows for not allowing the six cyl cars to stall when the throttle is suddenly closed. You need to get the factory service manual if you want to start messing with it. (section 10)
Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
BreakOut

Well, got the carb adjusted 'pretty good' but am beginning to run into a problem. After I kill the engine then come back to start the car it doesn't want to start back up on the first try or it runs for a second then dies. Usually takes me 3 or 4 starts to get it going again. Any idea which screw needs adjusting on the carb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting Autolite 1100 after rebuild and install