V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Jefferson

Default Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Introduction

There is no better feeling then when you drop a gear and put your foot to the floor, the engine growls fiercely, your Stang jumps forward and you're gone, leaving everyone and everything in your dust. But did you know that you are not using your cars full potential?

For whatever reason, the 99-04 Mustang (more noticeably in the 99-00 models) have about an inch and a quarter of slack in the throttle cable. This causes your gas pedal to sit lower than you break and clutch pedals and renders you unable to achieve a wide open throttle. Luckily for us, this is a very easy fix. (The process took me about 10 minutes!)

In this article we will fix this "problem" by using a spacer and some fasteners where the throttle cable connects to the gas pedal to reduce the slack. This will allow you to achieve a wide open throttle and raise your gas pedal to about even height of the brake and clutch pedals.

What you will need

1" hollow nylon spacer or some stiff plastic tubing
2 small hose clamps (for testing/temporary use, zip ties work great!)
Utility Knife (Exacto Knife)
Flat head screwdriver

I went and bought a 1 foot length of stiff plastic tubing as it can be easily cut to suit and you have some extra just incase. I ended up using about a length about one and a quarter inch (1 1/4") long to take up all the slack. The result is a very touchy gas pedal, the less slack taken up the more throttle play you will have. You may want to make a slight change to the length after you give this mod a try. Zip ties are useful because they are easy to put on and cut off, but I would use the hose clamps as a permanent solution for when you decide on a length because zip ties could slide/move.

What to do

First, make a slice along the length of one side of the spacer so you are able to slide it over the throttle cable. Next, squeeze yourself into the floor so you can see the top of your pedal, where the cable links to the pedal arm*. Lift the gas pedal, this should cause the slack in the cable to become very apparent. Now, slide the spacer over the cable. The spacer should now be butting up against the cable's end cap, the pedal arm and holding the cable out. Use you fasteners (whether you are using the zip ties or the hose clamps) and fasten one near each end of the spacer. Make sure everything is secure, and...

THAT'S IT!!!

* Alternatively, you can detach the throttle cable in the engine by pushing the plastic throttle body linkage forward then slide the cable out of its slot. This allows the cable drop about 8 inches at the gas pedal, where it is easier to work on. However, I prefer to work on the linkage while still attached as I am able to see how much slack is being taken up.

Your pedal should look about this height

Sit in your seat and rest your foot on the pedal, you should feel an immediate difference in height. Go for a spin, make sure you like the height and everything is good. If you used the zip ties you should now swap for the hose clamps because the ties could move/slide.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions you may PM me.

Jeff
(MFer - Jefferson)
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Default RE: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Awesome write up Jefferson! Do I have your permission to make this an official Mustang Forums tech article? If so, it will earn you a contributor tag and you will be named as the author.
Chris [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Jefferson

Go right ahead.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:13 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

what is the inner diameter of the plastic tubing you bought? what is the plastic tubing supposed to be used for (so people can actually find it when they go to the store)?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Jefferson

Um, I dont remember the inner diameter of the tubing (I just eyed it in the store), I will check when I get home from work. Really, it just has to be smaller then then the cap on the cable.

I bought tubing in the plumbing section of a hardware store. But like I said, I find out tonight and post it.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

i am doing this THIS weekend....thanks man!.....i've always hated how low the accelerator sits in comparison to the break pedal...kinda strains your leg having to move it back 4 inches or so to hit the brake pedal.....i have noticed that when i floor it there is extra play if you press down as far as it can go....kinda feels like a popping sound once you reach the WOT point....i'm guessing because the cable's extra slack is kinking up or something?...well...glad theres a fix now...thanks again!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Jefferson

No problem. Just be cautious when you first hit the pedal, I was backing out of the shop we have in our back yard and when I tapped the gas like I used to, I tore up a ton of grass.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:40 PM
jj84756
3rd Gear Member

yeah i really want to do this, but i don't have a plastic thing lying around. might need to hit up Ace.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 PM
shayne
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, great post. Thanx. Later.
S W
Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Jefferson

I like to one foot section of tubing because if I made a mistake or cut the piece to short, I could cut another. I think it cost me like 49 cents. Just make sure its fairly rigid so it doesnt crush under pressure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix