Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Simple mods to increase mpg on v6

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
ide326

Default Simple mods to increase mpg on v6

hey guys I know what your gonna say... but I did my research on here and can't get a clear answer because everyone is argueing with eachother. Gas prices are insane here in D.C. I need simple mods that will increase my mpg and maybe increase my hp. So far I hear doing the exhaust and intake will increase mpg and hp. I need specific details on which to get, etc. Most of us don't know what to do. And by simple mods, I mean seeing a goodbreak even point with gas savings and cost for mod.

Thanks, no argueing. Need Expert answers.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Simple mods to increase mpg on v6

When I added my FRPP Exhaust kit (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9910) and drove home with it I got around 28 MPG (from 21~22) on 89 Octane (around 30ish miles on highway and city including 5 stop signs). Of course, naturally it declined but as the tank get empty, it slowly rises towards 28 again (considering the weight of the gasoline on a full tank). Which is another factor in it. Don't buy a full tank of gas because you are carrying extra weight with you that you don't need. Back on topic though, I average about 24~+ MPG not including the increase as it gets closer to empty. Although, the FRPP V6 Kit maybe a little pricer than others, but it seems to sound the best in my opinion (if your looking for sound and looks as a bonus ).

Another thing would be a CAI/Tune. VMPTuning.com even has a MPG Tune that may be of interest to you. I haven't gotten mine yet, but will in the next future along with 2 performance tunes to fill the other spots on the tuner.

Thats all I can think of right now! Hope this helped a little.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Some simple suggestions that can be had cheap and are normal maintenance type items:
[ul][*]keep your tires fully inflated to their max spec psi.[*]Change your engine, trans & rear lubes to full synthetic.[*]Add a GT take off muffler and a free flow air filter. If a CAI isn't in the budget try a GT airbox cover for added flow.
[/ul]
Personally I wasn't that impressed with my mileage tune this winter. Could be that the snows and winter gas offset the imrovement but I was getting no better then my perf tunes.
I have only one tank down with my new FRPP duals but have seen an improvement of 2 mpg highway. I still had the snows on but did install the 87 perf tune. Plus I have been leaving earlier to work so I don't need to speed. I'll have 1 more tank burned before I take off the snows so I'll have a better idea if the exhaust has helped then.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Hey Neal, if you really want to improve your gas mileage, sell the car. If not that extreme, install a set of 4.10 gears and T-Lok, always making sure to leave at least a 30 foot set of dual tire tracks when the light turns green. If not this, the mods the guys have mentioned work well too. By the way, if that's your f***ed up car in the photo, I definitely wood suggest getting rid of it. From the way it looks, it'll get the best gas mileage on the website cause it'll never move. Take care, Jack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/B783B55BDCBE408FADC136AECE2E0F37.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 AM
ide326

What is CAI, in order to tune, do I need CAI first? What is the cost of this? I hear perf 87 bama tune increases mpg? Is this true? What about cold air intake, does this increase mpg?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM
chrispcola

A CAI is a cold air intake. Most will require tunes, although there are a couple that don't. Cost varies. Most places will sell a CAI and tuner package for about $500+ again depending on the tuner and CAI. Also keep in mind that some tunes require higher octane gas. I think the mpg gains are minimal but I suppose theycan add up with mods. Most people say they lose mpgs becausethey're more likely to punch the gas a little more to fully appreciate their cars' new performance....I'm a relatively new Mustang owner and the only performance mod I've done is the single GT takeoff exhaust. The first tank of gas, I did notice a small increase of +1-2 mpgs. The next time I went back to what I was before becuase I found myself revving the engine a lot more just to hear the sound....So mpgs will just depend on how you drive as other have noted...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

If your car has more than 15K miles, then I recommend that you replace your fuel filter. Gas these days is cruddy, and I replace mine every 15K. At 30K miles now, both times the old filter was plugged up & difficult to blow through. I would think that affects MPG (I know it can affect HP - just ask Boss244).
Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Hey Jack, I see your giving more quality info. Take care, Doug

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 AM
tdaddy
2nd Gear Member

imo ide326 and jwilhelm are both trolls
ide326: who would make a sig like that with the words impregnater? not to metion posts like this
don't get me started on jwilhelm...1005hp my ***
Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tdaddy

imo ide326 and jwilhelm are both trolls
ide326: who would make a sig like that with the words impregnater? not to metion posts like this
don't get me started on jwilhelm...1005hp my ***

tdaddy, ide 326 didnt' do that. His signature is im pre gan ter and not impregnator like you assume. It must be some new fangled word used by kids.

As for increasing mileage, and assuming you have a running car, proper inflation of the tires, no jackrabbit starts, a free flowing exhaust and I believe on sixers just an axle back does that.

Oh, also anticipate red lights and take your foot off the gas sooner and roll to the lights as opposed to hard braking. You might see an extra 1-2mpg and keep it between 55-65 on the highway too

Quick Reply: Simple mods to increase mpg on v6