Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Custom console

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom console

Has anyone on here bult there own center console for a 67 68 mustang please post pics of what you have built or bought as im looking to make one soon thanks for the help in advnace
Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Custom console

I've been looking also. Not come across anything interesting yet, which surprises me considering the market.
Most aftermarket units I have seen are fugly.

Jav
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Montanas Mustang
1st Gear Member

Same problem here...will be interested to see what is posted.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Very little will likely be posted simply because most people don't make a custom console. If you search the 'Classic Mustangs' forums and spend a little time doing so you will find some pics and a few links to others who have done it. Also try Google and eBay. I spent about 4 hours 1 night and actually found 7 or 8 different custom consoles.. a few with good write ups (1 from a forum member). There is an eBay seller who has custom full length consoles as well which look ok.

I'd post images and links as I kept everything I found, however, I'm out of the country and its all back on my home pc. Good luck
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I think a custom console could be ka if done right. The problem is you don't want it to look "homemade" or else you will hate it. It will have to fit right and hold together well. I don't think there is a huge market for consoles in the classics, unlike other newer cars. Many like the stock look, even though there was the console option back in the day. I think many don't want the hassle of installing the thing, plus they are like $1000. Pretty expensive for the stock consoles. Aftermarket ones, look just that, aftermarket.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I have one that turned out very nice IMHO. I have some pictures at home and will post them tonight. I was able to incorporate cup holders, power window switches and 4 gauges. I designed then built it and then took it to an upholstery shop to cover in a vinyl that will match the rest of the interior.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Tims65
1st Gear Member

I've been trying to find a console out of a modern car that will fit in an early Mustang. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tim
Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I made my own

Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

that pretty close to what im goin for
Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I'm going for something like that though not quite as far into the back plus umm.. a few additional things. The storage hump (just wide enough inside for a CD case) I hope to position as an elbow rest. Coin storage, niknak storage, 2 cup holders, cell phone & IPod slots, power window/locks/trunk / heated seats controls, cigarette power, a standard 3 pronged power outlet, emergency brake on hump & manual trany boot. Will curve up into the dash with a lower storage and stereo head unit above that. Will either use a radio delete panel in the existing radio-dash area or fab up a fiberglass insert there for a bit more storage.

The console will be wood based and formed fiberglass as I don't want square edges. From the rear storage hump forward I'm looking to have it curve down to the emergency brake with the cup holders (1 in front of the other) beside the brake handle on passenger side. Cell phone & IPod slots forward of cup holders, just before the boot. Coin, niknak storage, power window/locks/trunk and heated seat controls on the rounded down section. The 2 power outlets will be passenger side forward down low I think, not quite under the dash. I don't yet know exactly where the emergency brake position will be but once thats determined I can then go abouts with scaled drawings as its position and the trany boot are key layout locations for everything else.

hehe yeah if I could fit a mini 4-can cooler into it I would however I just haven't been able to find a place yet. Perhaps in the back of the storage hump... grabs the paper and pencil again!

The entire thing will be wrapped in foam and covered in vinyl to match the Ivy Gold interior. The storage hump access top will have a bit thicker high density foam. Main wiring harness will have disconnect plugs in the forward section so if I need to remove the console it can be done easily. The emergency brake section will mainly be a long slot with a rubber boot which the handle comes up through.. again, making the removal easier.

Haven't even started it yet as it'll be a winter/spring project I do next year as the car right now gets priority. I've put a lot of thought into it and have sketched out countless drawings to make sure everything will fit. I have a construction back ground in finish work mainly with my father through out my younger years so I'm not looking at it being hard to do. Mostly just some fun, bit of cursing and taking my time during the evenings when the time comes around.

Anyways.. theres my basic plan. Figured I'd share this along to you all who are looking to do this. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Custom console