5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

UPR k-member/coilover install pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:06 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

Default UPR k-member/coilover install pics!

Here are the pics from my UPR Kmember install and then with Coilovers on it. AWESOME Fitment. Only thing i have to do is bend a bracket on the drivers side that is used to hold the brake hose on. i have to bend it back towards the body of the car.You can reuse the same bolts for the A-Arms and for the strange shocks.
I changed spindles to a 87-93 mustang and will buy the Lincoln Mark VII 5 lug rotors with 87-93 brake calipers for my 5 lug swap on my 85. Its coming along quite nicely now. Going to swap rearends this weekend by taking out the old 7.5 and switching to an 8.8 with disc brakes and 5 lugs already.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:09 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: UPR k-member/coilover install pics!

shweet
Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. here is a few more pics of the car when it still had the front clip on before the swap. It was already low but now i believe i can get the tops of the front tires inside the wheel well. **Notice the 87-93 quarter windows! The cars paintjob will end up something like whats in my signature. Ive also looked into a Flourescent Orange or (Caliente in the SEM Paint Book)...VERY BRIGHT!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Blue Oval
4th Gear Member

good stuff. did you have to remove a bunch of things to swap k members? how much weight did you think that saved too
Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

I didnt have to "cut" anything. What i did was unbolted the factor c/c plates and dropped the shocks down. Then i had to remove a bolt in the engine compartment that held a power steering line. Once i removed the lines from the power steering unit, i unbolted the 8 bolts holding the kmember on. I placed a jack under the oil pan to hold the engine up and then i had a smaller jack to hold one A-arm up while i unbolted the other side. then reversed it until i could safely lower it. Be careful not to hit the jack or the engine could fall! Then i started taking parts off the kmember while it was out. Good thing is thatyou can use all the bolts.I still have to purchase

1. brake hoses for an 87-93
2. manual steering rack
3. 5 lug rotors (mark VII)

As far as weight savings. Im SURE i lost 70lbs. I could barely drag the old kmember out from underneath the car and the UPR on i couldve bolted the Aarms and still picked it up with one hand.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

looks like much better quality than my POS QA1 K-member
Old 05-06-2007, 10:37 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

For never doing it before, it was pretty easy. MM&FF did an article on it a couple months ago so reading it 2 or 3 times before hand made it easier. The kit comes with EVERTHING, even the cotter pins for the spindles and the nut. Grease fittings are supplied to for the bottom of the aarm. The a-arms require a little finess as its a snug fit but by hitting it a couple times with your hand you can get them inside the perches. I wrapped the main support in bubble wrap because i want to keep it nice looking when i take the motor out. Im going to tape it up when i paint the engine bay and inside the fenders.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Nick, check out the Flaming River manual steering racks. For the money they can't be beat.
I put one on my '84 last year and it was totally easy to install. I had never done one before and it took me maybe 3 hours.
It will make the engine baylots cleaner looking without the power pump stuff and car loses more wieght too.....
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 AM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

yeah thats the company i was going with. I dont know if you can see it but in the first picture, I have the Flaming River low profile steering shaft. Great product as well and lots of room in between headers.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:09 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

looks amazing man,, thought about going that route with my vert wish i did, oh well for the next project

Quick Reply: UPR k-member/coilover install pics!