5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine rebuild - car wont start - HELP Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 AM
draco529
1st Gear Member

Default Engine rebuild - car wont start - HELP Please

Ok here we go. I just rebuilt the top end. Trick Flow kit (heads, cam intake), BBK fuel pressure regulatr, Holley fuel pump, electric fan and host of over things. It is all back together but it won't start. I have checked spark and it is there, and fuel is there. I believe that I have adjusted the fuel pressure regulator correctly. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, the check engine light stays on as well as the battery light. I am checking everyhing....fuses, grounds, relays, battery...all with no luck. I don't believe I installing the fan correctly becuase it never turns on, I may have hooked it up to an incorrect wire. Also, this car used to have air conditioning, in the rebuild I removed it. Would the no longer used A/C connection have something to do with not starting or the check engine light. I am wondering if anybody else rebuilt the top end and run into the same problem. Please help.

thank you
Old 03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Engine rebuild - car wont start - HELP Please

First thing I would check is to make sure the distributor is in correctly.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 PM
bigmudder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: draco529

It is all back together but it won't start. I have checked spark and it is there, and fuel is there. I believe that I have adjusted the fuel pressure regulator correctly. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, the check engine light stays on as well as the battery light.
ok now what is that you said it wont start but when you put the key in the ignition and turn it on?????????????? sorry just a little confused

ok now to try and help you out, is the engine running when thoes lights are on or is it just in the run mode with out the engine running?

and is the car in time

removing the AC has nothing to do with y it wont start ive removed them befor and never had a problim

how did you wire the fan up? did it come with an electric fan or did you just put one in?

well anwser thoes questions so i can try and help you out more
Old 03-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

the fan not being wired correctly might be the reason your getting the check engine light but its not the reason your car wont start. and bigmudder he just said his motor wont start at all just when he turns it over all the way to where the fuel pump comes on and all that the last turn before you start your car.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

the check engine light and battery light will come on every time you turn the key to "on" position. they always do to show that they are functioning
Old 03-05-2006, 04:54 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

check your grounds, the one from the battery to the block, and theres one from the
back of the motor to the fire wall its a ground strap
Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
draco529
1st Gear Member

I was under the impression that the light will go off after performing a test of the systems.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
draco529
1st Gear Member

ok now what is that you said it wont start but when you put the key in the ignition and turn it on?????????????? sorry just a little confused

ok now to try and help you out, is the engine running when thoes lights are on or is it just in the run mode with out the engine running?

and is the car in time

removing the AC has nothing to do with y it wont start ive removed them befor and never had a problim

how did you wire the fan up? did it come with an electric fan or did you just put one in?

well anwser thoes questions so i can try and help you out more

[/quote]

Yes, I installed an electric fan, and I don't believe that is in correctly. It should turn on when the ignition is turned on and it does not. I don't beleive I wired it to an ignition wire. I will have to fix that later. My question with the A/C is if the wiring connection is no longer made to the compressor, is that open connection going to cause a problem (the check engine light)?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
draco529
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

First thing I would check is to make sure the distributor is in correctly.
I will re-check the distributor, I have pulled out a spark plug and tried to start to make sure that I have a spark and I do. I have checked the adjustment of the cap twice. I will double check the location of the rotor and where top dead center of the #1 piston is. I am running out of guesses at this point, I have check all grounds, electrical connections, fuel, spark etc.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:31 PM
bigmudder
2nd Gear Member

ok you need to start your car befor the check engine light will go away you can turn your key to the on pos. and the light will be on all day you need to start it befor it will go away and the fan wont turn on until a certin temp. at least thats how it was for mine

your best bet would be to hard wire the fan to a switch and just flip it when ever you start it

and correct me if im wrong but isnt a rotor what your brake pads apply to and make you stop????

well if you have spark then it should start or at least try to. i think your out of time or some thing

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild - car wont start - HELP Please