5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Loud Squeal/Whine (video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:17 AM
BigDaddyJames
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Loud Squeal/Whine (video)

I think you may want to check your waterpump too. That could be it. Thanks for the video. I've missed the way these cars sound, it's been a long winter!!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:22 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

from the video it kind of sounds like a whine but im not to sure. to much wax in my ears i guess.

and you said it only does it when warm,neutral and park and when going slow. so 1st gear. and you feel a vibration. got to be something in the drivetrain.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

sounds like the flexplate is rubbing the block plate does the noise change when you rev the motor?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

it does sound like an accesory, like maybe a bad ac clutch but if you took the belt off it wouldnt make that noise. it doesnt really sound like anything in the exhaust. i think i'd check the torque converter and the flex plate. if you dont find anything there ..maybe look deeper into the tranny. it just seems odd that it only makes the noise in neutral and park and at low speeds. it kind of sounds like a gear wine but you dont have any gears engaged..
Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

just replace the trans, you can get AOD's cheep, i have one its yours if you come get it lol FREE to anyone what wants it.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:57 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

theres a lot of TSB's on AOD trannys if you know anyone who has access to alldata or oasis you could probably get some info about it
Old 03-11-2006, 02:01 AM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

harmonic balancer
Old 03-11-2006, 02:44 AM
mcpdontknow

the sound doesnt change when i rev, just kinda fades out. my boss thinks it a bearing causing a vibration but i would think after 2 years something with the sound would change.

ill take a look at the flex plate. that would make sence for it to cause that if it rubs.

maybe i could take the harmonic balancer off for a bit to see it has something to do with that? is it safe to take that off?

I might even drop the trans. I cant take it anymore. i'm thinking its the transmission pump, or maybe oil pump? what else could it really be?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

hold up bud dont take the balancer off an try to run the motor thats a no no. Im thinkin it could be the thrust bearing most of the way gone to, if i was you i would pull the trans and see if the flex plate is rubbing, if not then pull the motor and check the bearings. once you are in there, get all new rod and main bearings, get a new oil pump as well. clevite 77 bearings and melling oil pump. good stuff, and it will not burn to much of a hole in your pocket. I would say it is not a bearing thoe, because it should rattle or knock if it was. Now a solonide (Spelling) can make a noise like that to, so it could be the trans yet.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Teamroping1978

HELP,, IM NEW TO THIS SITE, Just my 64 mustang has a 302 motor,, just got it rebulit along with the tranny rebuilt,, was sounding great till couple weeks ago,, it started to make a loud squeal..when it get warm, water pump , alternator have all been replaced.. i have even turned it on with belt off.. An it still makes that loud squealing noise. we spayed the harmonic balancer with a lil wd 40 just to see.. it went away for a min an then came back.. what could it be.. Also,, what would make the car just turn off when i come to a complete stop... it just dies.. fires right up.. but still what can cause that.

Quick Reply: Loud Squeal/Whine (video)